You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

getting logo printed uv spot

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help, as I'm not great with jargon! I'm trying to get business cards printed with uv spot layer. I've sent the file in various formats but the supplier is saying that it's showing flat, and they need it in layers. They're not able to open it if I send it directly as an affinity file. Any help? TIA

Does the whole card get covered by the UV spot color? Only parts of it?

In any case, you need to create a new layer above the layer stack. This layer needs a spot color. All items that get the spot UV color need copied to this new layer directly on top of the items position on their respective layers (if used) and I would recommend naming this new layer SpotUV.

It doesn't really matter the color one uses for a spot color. I generally use 100% Magenta. Once the items are on the new layer, turn off the visibility of the other layer(s) so the non-UV items are not seen. Select the items on the Spot color layer and color them with the new spot color swatch.

When you export, make sure that you use a PDF type that allows layers. I generally just use the highest Acrobat compatibility that an application supports. Use the More button in the PDF export dialog and make sure the Honor Spot colors is checked. There will now be a layer in the PDF named SpotUV.

There seems to be a bug in AD Windows that the named spot color does not survive to the PDF, instead it is named Global Color x (where x = the logical number for the swatch that was created). But the layer name does survive.

Mike

The first screen shot sort of threw me for a second as the Flatten preset was highlighted! Can you show the layers panel? The UV has to be on a discreet layer.

The fonts do need embedding. A copy of the design can also have the type converted to curves.

If all else fails, would you be willing to upload your file to dropbox or the like and PM me a download link?

Take care, Mike