You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is point snapping possible?

I watched a tutorial about snapping on AD, and also tried all possible combinations from the snapping settings, but I couldn't figure this out yet.

I'm trying to snap something like this:

Untitled_3.jpg

Then I get close but I can tell snapping is not working as the rectangle is not getting attracted to the object next to it as it does when I snap to other rectangles' edges:

Untitled_4.jpg

And in fact I get this:

Untitled_5.jpg

As you can see is not perfectly overlapping the line to its left.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Andrew

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Hi Andrew! 

I think you will need to tick some extra snapping options. Click the arrow beside the snapping magnet icon, and select from the lowermost section.

I initially thought Snap to object geometry would be the one, but some experimentation proved Snap to object bounding boxes to be the one for your case, while Include bounding box mid points allows the middle of the box edge to align with the line (Snap to shape key points allows snapping the line to the middle of the rectangle edge if you are moving the line).

snappier2.png

Thank you for chiming in.

Yes, I did check those two snap options, and I thought that would do the trick, but no luck, unfortunately.

Edit: Ha! I did forget about the candidates! After selecting the object I wanted to snap to, it worked!

Hi Andrew! 

I think you will need to tick some extra snapping options. Click the arrow beside the snapping magnet icon, and select from the lowermost section.

I initially thought Snap to object geometry would be the one, but some experimentation proved Snap to object bounding boxes to be the one for your case, while Snap to shape key points allows snapping to the middle of the rectangle edge.

snappier.png

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

Woohoo!  :D

Of course, this means I need to go read the help about candidates.

I was fresh of the tutorial as I'm learning AD in these days :)

Even though I saw the tut only a few days ago, I already forgot the reason for the candidates.

It would be nice if the user could setup a default rule for the snaps.

Andrew
-

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.