You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mac users - How to move/copy a font set from one mac to another?

Hi Folks... I have asked this question on the apple support forum but have not received any guidance. I thought I would try here...

I have been using AD on an iMac in my office. I was sent a font set by another designer to complete some work, successfully loaded it on to my iMac, and got the job done. I have since acquired a Macbook Air which I also use AD on while out of the office. I would like to get or copy or move?? the above mentioned font set from my iMac to my MacBook Air. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Reality is perception. Perception is reality. You are in charge of both.

iMac  |  21.5  |  Mid 2011                 MacBook Air  |  13 inch  |  Early 2015

2.5 GHz  |  i5 quad                          1.6 GHz  |  Core i5

20 GB Ram  |  10.12.6                     8 GB Ram  |  10.13.6

The best way to do this would be using the built-in Font Book app:

Open the Font Book app.

Font Book separates out fonts pre-installed on the system and fonts installed by the user – the User tab will contain all of the fonts that you’ll want to move over.

Select the fonts in the list that you want to export, then go to File > Export Fonts... (or if you want to export all user fonts, select the User tab and then go to File > Export Collection...

Save the fonts in the place you want them to go, and Font Book will create a folder with the font files for the fonts you exported. Move this folder onto your new Mac.

To install the new fonts in bulk, open Font Book on the new Mac and go to File > Add Fonts... then browse to the folder you created. Select it, and click Open.

Font Book will then read the folder contents and install all of the fonts it finds!

Hey,

How did they send you the font? can't you send that set to yourself?

If you no longer have that, open up the app Font Book on your iMac use spotlight to search for it or go to launchpad then utilities, usually in there.

Look for the font your after, right click on the font and choose 'Show in finder' and then select the font and either choose the share icon to email the font to yourself or copy on to an extra HD.

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

The best way to do this would be using the built-in Font Book app:

Open the Font Book app.

Font Book separates out fonts pre-installed on the system and fonts installed by the user – the User tab will contain all of the fonts that you’ll want to move over.

Select the fonts in the list that you want to export, then go to File > Export Fonts... (or if you want to export all user fonts, select the User tab and then go to File > Export Collection...

Save the fonts in the place you want them to go, and Font Book will create a folder with the font files for the fonts you exported. Move this folder onto your new Mac.

To install the new fonts in bulk, open Font Book on the new Mac and go to File > Add Fonts... then browse to the folder you created. Select it, and click Open.

Font Book will then read the folder contents and install all of the fonts it finds!

This worked perfectly! Many thanks.  :)

iMac  |  21.5  |  Mid 2011                 MacBook Air  |  13 inch  |  Early 2015

Hey,

How did they send you the font? can't you send that set to yourself?

If you no longer have that, open up the app Font Book on your iMac use spotlight to search for it or go to launchpad then utilities, usually in there.

Look for the font your after, right click on the font and choose 'Show in finder' and then select the font and either choose the share icon to email the font to yourself or copy on to an extra HD.

Allan

Thanks Allan, I am sure it would have worked. I used Rhys Stenhouse's suggestion in the end. Cheers