You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rectangle tool bug or me?

Hi,

I am attempting to place text that is gold using ' Gold: Affinity Designer Text effect Tutorial #1' from youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6aTMV7Y6E0

I made a new document for the web as it will be used for a web site.

The problem is I am able to get the text in and colored up to a point.

Around the 2:19 mark a rectangle tool is selected and drawn from the upper left to the lower right and the mouse button appears to be let go moved into space until the pointer is shown, then slides back where a letter is shown and the marker is changed.

No matter what I do I am unable to duplicate this action. I have included some images as well. The letters do not show, the pointer does not change.

Thank You,

Steven

post-32245-0-40649400-1470689079_thumb.png

post-32245-0-51077000-1470689094_thumb.png

post-32245-0-79294700-1470689138_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Steven4662,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

At 2:19 he draws a rectangle using the Rectangle Tool, but then to create the gradient he changes to the Fill Tool (look at which tool is selected when he creates the gradient on the toolbar on the left). You didn't see it changing with the mouse because he used a shortcut (he pressed G on his keyboard). So you have to select the Fill Tool (or press G on your keyboard) and drag the mouse over the rectangle (it must be selected) to create the gradient.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

NOTE: You can ignore he purple L letter that flashes for a few moments since it's part of other functionality (snapping candidates) not related with the tutorial.

Thank you. I have been doing several projects with the beta's for both testing and learning purposes but I find that I have a difficult time with non-verbal videos.

I understand the reasoning behind them and agree, it's just that I need to get used to them.

Are you aware of any written tutorials that are available?

Steven

• Staff

Hi Steven,

Go to this page, then check Designer on top menu. There's  a section there that lists third party tutorials (written). Check them out.

Also check the other resources in particular the video tutorials section where are listed all In-house Affinity Designer video tutorials (narrated).

You can also access them in this thread here on the forums: In-house Affinity Designer Video Tutorials.

If you have trouble with any step or question just go ahead and post here. There's always people willing to help.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.