You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi affinity

Im really happy to see that a software to replace Photoshop for my workflow is coming to windows but I would like to make one crucial feature request: Please make affinity support Quixel applications or the other way round. This would be great and i can then fully utilise affinity as my main workflow and say good bye to Photoshop. 

Photoshop plugins come in one of two possible flavours. The first one is deemed "the classic Photoshop plugin". These typically have the extension *.8bf, and have a pretty high chance to work in non-Adobe software that supports Photoshop plugins. Examples are plugins such as Google NIK, FilterForge, and Topaz.

The second flavour of Photoshop plugin completely relies on, and is entirely integrated in, Photoshop's functional framework. These are 100% incompatible with any other software, unless the entire framework of Photoshop would be emulated somehow. Which is a ridiculous thought, of course.

You might have guessed by now: Quixel's suite of tools falls into the second category. It is indeed a devastating thought - the short of it is that Quixel is quite impossible to run outside the Photoshop environment.

Quite, quite impossible, and it will never happen. Besides, to run Quixel, some kind of 3d OpenGL viewport is required. Which Affinity photo and Designer both lack. Sorry to be the bearer of such ignominiously rotten news.

Should you still wish to leave Photoshop for 3d texturing work, your options are plentiful: 3dCoat, Substance Designer/Painter, Mari, and so forth. I predominantly do my texture painting work in 3dCoat.

aww it sucks to hear that. I hope Affinity becomes popular enough for Quixel to recognise and hopefully look into making a version that is compatible affinity. I'm gonna have to learn Substance and work with affinity in the mean time. also I'm a windows user so i can't try out affinity photo and i was wondering does affinity photo work well or even better for concept artists?. does it have all the tools like Photoshop or even better?