You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to copy a shape in the same layer?

I'm hoping someone can help me.  I'm new to Designer and I have been watching the tutorials to get help, but now I"m stuck.  I watched the tutorial about "power duplicate" and in the tutorial when he creates another star shape, in the layers you can see that the star shape is in the same layer as the original star.  When I create a copy of my star shape Designer is creating the star shape in a brand new layer instead of in the same layer.  Instead of having multiple stars in the same layer like in the tutorial I have multiple layers of one star.  Is there a setting I'm missing?  Can someone assist me?  HELP!

• Staff

Hi nwbruin,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

In the video tutorial all stars have its own layer too, however you don't see them appearing in the layers panel because they are all being created inside of another layer - the one that you actually see in the video. If you look closely you will note that there's a small arrow on the left of that layer's thumbnail. If you could click on the arrow it would expand showing all the star's layers inside.

So to reproduce this on you Mac, before creating the first star, click on the Add Layer button on the bottom of the Layers panel first (the third icon counting from the right), then draw you first star and duplicate it. You will see that all of them seem to be on that single layer, however, like in the tutorial, if you click the arrow near the thumbnail to expand it you will see that all star layers have its own layer. That's what is happening in the tutorial too.

In Affinity Designer all vector objects have their own layer. You can however place them inside other "generic" vector layers.

Hi nwbruin,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

In the video tutorial all stars have its own layer too, however you don't see them appearing in the layers panel because they are all being created inside of another layer - the one that you actually see in the video. If you look closely you will note that there's a small arrow on the left of that layer's thumbnail. If you could click on the arrow it would expand showing all the star's layers inside.

So to reproduce this on you Mac, before creating the first star, click on the Add Layer button on the bottom of the Layers panel first (the third icon counting from the right), then draw you first star and duplicate it. You will see that all of them seem to be on that single layer, however, like in the tutorial, if you click the arrow near the thumbnail to expand it you will see that all star layers have its own layer. That's what is happening in the tutorial too.

In Affinity Designer all vector objects have their own layer. You can however place them inside other "generic" vector layers.

MEB

Thank you!  That's what I was looking for and it worked like a charm.  You rock!  Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my question.