You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi There:

I have Affinity Photo 2.42 running under Windows 10 Pro, 22H@, OS Build 19045.4355. I also have a two-4K monitor setup. If I do a screen capture and do an 'Open from Clipboard' in AP, I get an image that is 7680x2160 pixels. This is expected. However, if I want to select one screen I choose crop, custom aspect ratio, 16x9, and I get: 3854x2168 pixels. That's not what I want. If I reset, go to crop, custom aspect ratio and type in 3840x2160, I get: 3854x2168 pixels. With snapping turned on, if I try to drag one of the corner handles, as soon as I get beyond about 3829 pixels it snaps automatically to 3854 pixels. There doesn't appear to be any way around it.

This is obviously a bug...wasn't sure where to report it.

If there's a way to fix this please let me know.

Mike.

AP 1.jpg

I’m not seeing the same thing as you.

In my attached video I have a document which is 7680×2160 pixels.
I select the Crop Tool, then select the 16:9 Custom Ratio from the Presets.
The crop size is 3840×2160 as expected, and the resultant image after cropping is also 3840×2160.

(I tired the same thing with a 72dpi document and a 96dpi document and got the same result.)

While using the tool I notice that the ratio in your image (3840×2160) doesn’t tally with that in my video (16×9). I wonder what’s happening there.

Would you be able to share the original image so we can experiment with it?

Hi Garry: Thank you for your prompt response. I've played with this a bit more and have some further information for you. I solved my problem and it has nothing to do with AP.

1) I was curious, so I took one of my Sony A7RIII raw files and opened it in AP. I selected the crop tool, set it to unconstrained and typed in 7680x2160 pixels, then exported that as a .jpg file. I opened the jpg, set the crop tool to custom ratio, 16x9 and AP provided a 3840x2160 crop frame, just as you'd expect.

2) I unplugged the second monitor and did a screen capture from my laptop screen only, then in AP went to New from Clipboard. I went to Document/ Resize Document and AP told me that the document is 3840x2160 pixels - appropriate since that's the resolution of the monitor.

3) After plugging the second monitor back in I created a second screen shot, opened it in AP (New from Clipboard) and again went to Document/Resize Document. This time AP told me the image was 7680x2168 pixels. I missed that yesterday. With that, it's not surprising that AP would create a 3856x2168 pixel, 16x9 crop. But where did those other 8 pixels come from?

In looking closely at the screen shot of the two screens, I noticed there was a very thin - 4 pixels, actually - white (blank) space at the top of the left monitor and at the bottom of the right monitor. As you know (with Windows, anyway) it's possible to go to the Display settings and offset the horizontal and vertical alignment of your monitors. For some reason the two monitors had gotten shifted out of vertical alignment - by 8 pixels. I moved the one monitor in the Display settings until they snapped back into alignment again, saved that at did another screen shot. This one is exactly 7680x2160 pixels.

No idea how they got shifted like that...never seen that one before. But at least we know it's not a bug.

Thanks again for your time.

Mike.