You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 2.4.2 Unable to create and edit a mask anymore.

running on macOS Somoma 14.4.1

When I try to create a mask on a layer seems to be completely broken for me.  The mask is created when I click on the mask button but editing it is impossible.  Right-click->edit results in a completely white screen.  Pressing ESC from there returns to normal view but leaves me with a mask that is useless.

This worked fine on the previous build.

Hi @pkclsoft,

This suggests you are creating Pixel masks which you will need to create and edit in the Pixel Persona...

I agree the behaviour when selecting Edit Mask is odd, logically when selecting Edit Mask the expectation is that you would still see the edges of the Artboard in the same way you see the edges of the canvas when not using an Artboard so I do think this is a bug...

You can still paint on and edit the mask in the Pixel persona but being unable to see the edges of the Artboard while doing so doesn't feel right...

I've checked back to v1.7.3 and I see the same behaviour there so it looks as though this hasn't been picked up before.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2449)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

Well, thank you again.  Though in this case I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I have clearly been able to create these masks in the past; the layers below the owl all have masks sized to the rectangle, clipping them to the rectangle.

Try as I might, I cannot get a mask to work for that owl layer anymore.  There is obviously a trick to this that I've forgotten.  I'm getting away without it as the Export persona lets met craft the slice to create the same result.

Are you sure the mask for the owl layer isn't a pixel mask?

I see the same issue if using a pixel mask with an Artboard when selecting Edit Mask but not with a vector clipping mask. The problem doesn't happen when using a Canvas rather than an Artboard...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2449)

Hi @pkclsoft,

Did that turn out to be the issue, i.e., a pixel mask?

To be honest I've not successfully reproduced the masks I had created on those other layers, and I'm time pressed to spend more time on it given the Export persona gives me the end result I need.  I felt it was important to thank / acknowledge the trouble you went to though.  I do need to work out how I did that in the first place.  I've been using AD for about a year now and still find things like this to be counterintuitive.  I sort of expect to be able to select a rectangular region, and then create a mask for selected layers to that rectangle.  

Somehow my brain just isn't getting it right now.