You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sections and Page Numbering Publisher Book File

I cannot get the section to start numbering with the number 1. (see attached screen caps)

Using Affinity Publisher 2.4 on Windows 10

I'm just starting this project. I currently have just 2 files in the book. An intro file has 6 pages.

The second file is chapter 1. I created a new section on the first page of that file. I have "Start page numbering at" checked. The box contains a 7 and I cannot change it. It always switches back to 7. And the page number in the footer of the first page in that document shows a 7.

Also, i can't delete this section to try to create a different one. The delete icon in the Section Manager is disabled.

This shouldn't be this hard. What am I doing wrong or is this some kind of bug?

book.jpg

sections.jpg

Ah, never mind. I found it. 

If I click the Book menu, there is an option to start the page numbering over!

So sections aren't really needed if you're using book files I guess?

There are still reasons to use sections in Books but it is less common. One common use is with endnotes - Publisher will create an automatic section named #Booknotes at the end of each chapter. These sections are non-printing which makes it a convenient way to edit endnotes that will actually be at the end of the Book.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)