You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 2 iPad Bug: Blocks of pixel layers do not show up while drawing.

Hello,

I opened Affinity Designer 2 on iPad today with the intent to use the drawing features on pixel layers. However, I found that as I would try to draw in my pixel layer, large blocks of the layer would be completely invisible as I drew through them (see following screen shots).

Image 1: I attempted to draw smooth loops around the canvas. You can see where they clearly got chopped off.

IMG_0778.thumb.png.f0607d274e6cb9a8b6429c53fe876c39.png

Image 2: After finishing the stroke and moving the view, it refreshed to show the whole layer. Moving the view does not always fix it, but usually does.

IMG_0779.thumb.png.b4a7a149e56841745a8eb850dc02223e.png

What I found is that this error occurs when I try to draw on a pixel layer that is inside of a layer group or vector layer that is inside an artboard. Non-artboard documents seem fine, and if I make the pixel layer an immediate child of the artboard, it seems to work fine. The problem isn’t completely consistent, but happens more often than not. Its behavior ranges from having edges of the layer clipped off like in the above images, to sporadic squares of blank spots scattered around the layer. It effectively makes painting in such layers impossible.

I am using Affinity version 2.4.0.2301 on a 12.9” M1 iPad Pro (5th generation). My iPadOS version is 17.3.1.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Thank you,

Collin

• Staff

Hi @Collin S,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & thanks for your report!

14 hours ago, Collin S said:

What I found is that this error occurs when I try to draw on a pixel layer that is inside of a layer group or vector layer that is inside an artboard

I can confirm this is an issue our team are aware of, and it is currently logged with our developers to be fixed. As you've mentioned, this will only occur within an Artboard when using Groups or Layer containers, though unfortunately I'm not aware of any workarounds at this time.

I will be sure to 'bump' this with the dev team now, to bring it to their attention once again - we hope to have this issue fixed in a future update.

I hope this helps :)