You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The brush preview stays on the canvas when I hold down the option key to try to pick a color.

• Staff

Hi @ShangZhou,

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

I've tested this on both an Intel and 'M' based mac running Sonoma 14.4 and I'm unable to replicate this currently - I have found a slightly different issue with Colour Pickeing and the Brush Preview, though this manifests in a different manner from your screen recording and requires a very specific workflow in terms of which keys are held and when.

Can you please confirm for me, what you are using as the Input Device within Affinity?
For example, are you using a magic mouse, a different USB style mouse, a trackpad, a drawing tablet, etc?

Can you verify for me, what is your exact workflow here? ie, in what order are you pressing and holding the ALT / left mouse button - and in what order are you stopping holding these keys?

9 hours ago, ShangZhou said:

Also, I've noticed that when I edit a sub brushes of a brush with a document open, the program crashes.

I'd recommend creating a new thread for each separate issue you need to report to our team, as this helps our team to resolve your issues in the most efficient manner possible.

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 3/11/2024 at 9:20 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @ShangZhou,

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

I've tested this on both an Intel and 'M' based mac running Sonoma 14.4 and I'm unable to replicate this currently - I have found a slightly different issue with Colour Pickeing and the Brush Preview, though this manifests in a different manner from your screen recording and requires a very specific workflow in terms of which keys are held and when.

Can you please confirm for me, what you are using as the Input Device within Affinity?
For example, are you using a magic mouse, a different USB style mouse, a trackpad, a drawing tablet, etc?

Can you verify for me, what is your exact workflow here? ie, in what order are you pressing and holding the ALT / left mouse button - and in what order are you stopping holding these keys?

I'd recommend creating a new thread for each separate issue you need to report to our team, as this helps our team to resolve your issues in the most efficient manner possible.

Many thanks in advance :)

Hi @Dan C,I use an Apple Magic Keyboard and an Apple Magic Mouse, and a Wacom Intuos Pro - Large, and I have just tried using either of these devices with the same problem, and my process is to hold down the "option" key, then press and hold the left mouse button, then release the left mouse button on the desired color, then release the "option" key... Could this be because I'm using an Apple Magic Mouse or drawing tablet?

• Staff

Thanks for verifying that for me - I've again tested on an M1 & Intel based mac with both a Magic Mouse and Wacom Intuos Pro and unfortunately I'm still not seeing exactly the same issue here, however I have been able to replicate a very similar issue, which I've logged with our team:

1. New Doc
  2. Brush Tool
  3. Paint a section of black pixels
  4. Change tool colour to White
  5. Hover cursor over black area Brush preview is drawn
  6. Hold down ALT and hold left click to being colour picking
  7. Move cursor over document to a different location than the start of the ‘pick’
  8. Let go of left click - continue to hold ALT temporarily
  9. Let go of ALT
    ⚠Note that the brush preview is now drawn in the original location where the ‘pick’ was started.

Moving the brush cursor then correctly updates the canvas with the brush preview location, which is demonstrated below (ignore the delay in creating a document, this was due to a secondary test I was trying at the time) -

However, I do understand this is still slightly different from the original issue you've reported and therefore I have requested for this to be tested on an M2 device internally, to see if this is specific to this platform.

In the meantime, can you please navigate to Affinity Photo 2 > Settings > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Equally, is your recording from an 8bit/sRGB document, or are you using a different colour space or iCC profile when this occurs?

Many thanks once again :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

18 hours ago, Dan C said:

However, I do understand this is still slightly different from the original issue you've reported and therefore I have requested for this to be tested on an M2 device internally, to see if this is specific to this platform.

In the meantime, can you please navigate to Affinity Photo 2 > Settings > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Equally, is your recording from an 8bit/sRGB document, or are you using a different colour space or iCC profile when this occurs?

Many thanks once again :)

Hi @Dan C,This is my Affinity Photo 2 > Settings > Performance,and yeah ,it's from an 8bit/sRGB document.I just tested almost all combinations of the performance options and none of them made it work properly. Also I noticed that when I used the brush preview for a while, it started to lag a little bit when drawing brushstroke, I'm not sure why, I tried turning off the system permission that allows "affinity photo" screen recording, and I seem to experience less lag when drawing brushstroke. I have now turned off brush preview and overall the software works well.❤️

未命名.jpg

未命名2.jpg

• Staff

Thanks for verifying that for me and the screenshots provided - my apologies for the delays here!

My colleague has further tested this on their M2 machine and we're still unable to replicate the exact behaviour shown in your recording, but I'm certainly glad to hear that you have been able to improve the performance on your device and are no longer experiencing this with brush previews disabled.

I'll be sure to keep a note of your report however, should we see other users reporting this issue in the future it may help to determine a 'common link' or cause for this :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

8 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for verifying that for me and the screenshots provided - my apologies for the delays here!

My colleague has further tested this on their M2 machine and we're still unable to replicate the exact behaviour shown in your recording, but I'm certainly glad to hear that you have been able to improve the performance on your device and are no longer experiencing this with brush previews disabled.

I'll be sure to keep a note of your report however, should we see other users reporting this issue in the future it may help to determine a 'common link' or cause for this :)

With that said, it looks like it may be caused by some personal settings on my computer, I will continue to look into it when I have time, you guys do a great job,Thanks!☺️

I think that I've managed to replicate this rendering delay fairly consistently just now, along with what seemed to perhaps be a correlated problem when sampling colours. It took several clicks to register a new sampled colour each time. It felt like a performance problem, which I don't often experience to that degree, even though I am still stuck in 'Intelville'.

@Dan C if there is any relevant technical info which you want to know, please let me know.

• Staff

Thanks for your recording @GripsholmLion - unfortunately however I'm a little confused, as I'm not seeing the same issue in your recording as shown by OP.

In OPs recording, the cursor position (ie brush outline) is shown where the 'pick' was initiated, even though this is not where the cursor currently is, after 'picking' the colour.

It's hard to tell from your recording as this doesn't seem to capture the full colour picker loupe, but I'm not seeing this occur on your machine. I've watched the recording multiple times and unfortunately I'm unsure exactly what you're trying to show.

As we've been unable to replicate OPs originally reported issue, and I'm not entirely certain what is shown in your recording, I'd recommend creating a new thread if you need to report a bug that you can replicate on your machine :) 

Please note -

Many thanks!

The first video appears to show a delay in updating the brush preview between the two sampled colours when using the option-tap/click method, just as I found. With no description other than the title, I understood that to be the problem being reported.