You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm using Publisher 2.3.1, and I've just run into a reproducible crash that appears to be related to the spellcheck process.  This crash initially occurred in a 40-page document file that uses the "English (United Kingdom)" spellcheck dictionary.  When I opened the document tonight, I had fixed all of the Preflight spellcheck "errors" with the exception of three instances of the word "aluminum", which were flagged as not being spelled "aluminium", as I checked with my editor to determine which version of English (UK or US) was to be used.  Informed that UK English would be used, I successfully changed the first instance of "aluminum", and Publisher crashed when I right-clicked on the second instance.

Upon restart, Preflight now showed a large number of spellcheck "errors", which was consistent with Publisher having "forgotten" all of the words that weren't actually misspellings, but were just proper names that weren't in the spellcheck dictionary, forcing me to go through them all once more, and specifying "Ignore Spelling" for each of them.  When I tried this, though, the first "Ignore Spelling" setting seemed to work, but the second caused Publisher to crash again.

I managed to trim the file down to a very "bare bones" version (attached here) that still exhibits the crash error.  Steps to reproduce are:

1. Open the file.
  2. In the Preflight section of the left sidebar, click the "Check Now" button.  This should reveal two spelling errors, "Davvidson" and "sales@zzvid.org".
  3. Double-click the "Davvidson" entry in Preflight, which will select it in the document.
  4. In the document, right-click the selected "Davvidson" and select "Ignore Spelling" from the dropdown.  This appears to work correctly.
  5. Double-click the "sales@zzvid.org" entry in Preflight, which will select it in the document.
  6. In the document, right-click the selected "sales@zzvid.org", which will cause Publisher to immediately crash and exit, with no warning.

I'm wondering if this might be caused by some sort of local corruption of the retained collection of "Ignore Spelling" words.  If this is the case, then I'd expect that you won't be able to reproduce the error that I'm seeing, and if this is the case, I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how I can fix this on my end.  If you are able to reproduce the error, then this would appear to be some sort of bug.

Thanks,

Ken

PublisherSpellcheckCrash_v3_27Feb24.afpub

Edited by Ken Hjulstrom
Renamed attached file to have a more generic name

I managed to resolve the spellcheck "errors" that appeared in the Preflight list by saving the document file after every second or third correction, so as to save changes that I had made in case Publisher crashed.  As I worked my way through the flagged "errors", I noticed that the Publisher crashes seemed to only occur if I double-clicked on the Preflight entry to allow the repositioning of the document display so the word in question was visible in the display.  I eventually just scrolled my way through the document, looking for the words underlined in red (the ones that the spellchecker flagged), and correcting them without double-clicking the Preflight entries went smoothly with (I believe) no crashes, which leads me to believe that the cause of the crashes may be related to the process by which the double-click on a Preflight spelling "error" positions the document to place the associated word into the document display window.

Ken