You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

export bug on 2.3/2.3.1 ?

Recolouring and exporting a .svg file for a client - they supplied the .svg as a CMYK file, all black text on a transparent background. I need it as white text on transparent and as a .svg and .png. Opened the file in Design 2.3.1, changed the text to white and exported both versions.

Importing the graphic into the badge design module of our browser-based event registration system, it previews fine in the image library and when placed on the page, however when I generate the .pdf file of the data-merged badge design, the logo fills with a solid black (on the .png) or a solid white (on the .svg). I have tried various .svg export formats, and even tried repeating the exercise in Photo 2.3.0 (just in case it was the new update) but still get the same results.

However if I export a .png from the .svg in Photoshop, it renders on the .pdf correctly. It is replicable from the logo file I have an happens even if I change colourspace (CMYK > RGB) on the master .svg.

Happy to discuss with Affinity Team but due to client and event confidentiality I can't share any of the screenshots on the forum. I hope this isn't a problem.

2 hours ago, jont-131 said:

... they supplied the .svg as a CMYK file ...

1) For SVG versions 1.1 (what Affinity uses/should support), icc color profiles or device-cmyk would usually have to be used to deal with CMYK colors, but it's depricated, see therefor ...

2) SVG 2.0 (either way not supported by Affinity software) added support for unmanaged colors allowing you to specify a CMYK color with an sRGB fallback:

<circle fill="#CD853F device-cmyk(0.11, 0.48, 0.83, 0.00)"/>

SVG 2.0 can also use icc-named-color() to specify a spot color which would be defined in a linked ICC color profile.

However I don't think Affinity and it's SVG v1.1 based parser & code generator will handle such SVG color space based transformations and instead will always deal with display RGB colors.

Importing the graphic into the badge design module of our browser-based event registration system, it previews fine in the image library and when placed on the page, however when I generate the .pdf file of the data-merged badge design, the logo fills with a solid black (on the .png) or a solid white (on the .svg). I have tried various .svg export formats, and even tried repeating the exercise in Photo 2.3.0 (just in case it was the new update) but still get the same results

What should the above in bold "when I generate the PDF file..." in contrast to "I've tried various SVG export formats" concrete mean here (?), aka which software is meant to generating a PDF file when you export as SVG?

Happy to discuss with Affinity Team but due to client and event confidentiality I can't share any of the screenshots on the forum. I hope this isn't a problem.

Then offer some own made simplified example file(s) for issue reproductions & testings, instead of the made for customer stuff.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks - will do after the job - bit time sensitive for signify, etc so using having to use PhotoShop to prepare suitable graphics ... will loop back in a week or so with some of the logo files with a couple of outline characters removed (assuming it still generates the same error) !

In terms of the .svg outputs I am referring to the four options that Affinity Designer offers when selecting .svg as an export - have exported one of each type and makes no difference ... the .svg file is uploaded to the registration system assets area and then can be called to be applied to a delegate badge design which is created on screen

For the pdf output of the badges (where the solid white/black filled box the same size as the perimeter of the logo file problem occurs) I presume this is rendered server-side from the cloud-based event registration system so unfortunately I have no access/idea/control over what it is doing up there to generate a .pdf file - we access the software using latest version of Chrome on MacOS 14.3 on my MacBook Pro M1 Pro ...