You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I make a hard selection?

Working in Affinity Photo 2.3.1 there seems to be many clever ways to feather or refine your selection edges, but I can't seem to figure out how to do the opposite. How do I make a hard binary selection with no feathering or bleeds? A simple pixel-on / pixel-off ragged edge selection with zero softening?

This is probably a rare use case, but never the less my finished pixel pattern is going to be used for embroidery. So all this selection softening happening (even with Feather: 0 px) is doing my head in. 

I can't help but suspect there is something obvious I'm missing here, but I'm not able to figure out what. Anyone able to help me?

HardSelect.thumb.jpg.8d91f523dc00f1900962a24c1cc5d396.jpg

If you are using the Selection Brush Tool, you can set “Soft Edges” OFF (on the Context Toolbar), use Refine (on the Context Toolbar), and then set Matte Edges OFF, then press Apply.

With other selection tools you can, more simply, use Refine (on the Context Toolbar), and then set Matte Edges OFF, then press Apply.

I think that will do what you want.

Using the “Black and White” preview of the Refine dialog will show you what you will get a bit better.

See attached video.

Edited by GarryP
Added video.