You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Corrupt Publisher File - "The file appears to be corrupted."

This file got corrupted saving to a network location while someone was working on it overnight. After some googling we've learned that that's a bad idea and we will change procedures going forward.

I've opened the file in a hex editor and I don't see any missing data (I'm not an expert though). Tried creating a new document and using "Add Pages from File" but that doesn't seem to work either.

Is there any way to fix this file, or at the bare minimum be able to read the text that is written inside of it?

The file was saved from Affinity Publisher 2.2.0 on a mac running Ventura 13.6.2 to a network location.

Any help appreciated!

CorruptFile.afpub

I have tried updating to Publisher 2.3.0 without it working. I've also located an older version of the file if it's possible to "splice" the old one and the corrupt one into some kind of frankenfile to be able to extract the text?

• Staff

Welcome to the forums @Ablof,

Unfortunately as you've found the file is not recoverable using any standard methods available (e.g 'Add pages from file') so with the information you've provided I've now logged your file with the developers for further investigation. This is primarily for the purposes of investigating the crash and there isn't a guarantee that your document can be recovered and i wouldn't be able to provide you with a timeframe i'm afraid. As such, I would suggest reverting to the backup file if one is available.

21 hours ago, Ablof said:

I've also located an older version of the file if it's possible to "splice" the old one and the corrupt one into some kind of frankenfile to be able to extract the text?

This wouldn't be possible since the corrupted document cannot be opened using any standard methods, however the apps incrementally saves a portion of your file at set intervals dependant on the 'File Recovery Interval' setting in the Performance Preferences. These are not full document backups and are used in circumstances where the app has unexpectedly closed to restore changes. If any are in the autosave directory you could try renaming them from .autosave to .afpub files and then seeing if they open in Publisher and then extract some of the text/changes, but it's not guaranteed to work.

If any are available they can be found in the 'autosave' directory: ~/library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher 2/autosave/