You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 2 shuts down when loading file

Photo 2 worked fine until this morning when I attempted to open several *.afphoto work documents.

When I double clicked the files, the program started then immediately shut down, leaving me staring at the Windows desktop.

I tried starting Photo 2, and it appeared to start normally.  However when I attempted to open *.afphoto documents, the shut-down re-occurred.

Hardware acceleration is off.  I can't find the crash reports.  Is this a known issue?  Is there a solution?  Right now, I'm dead in the water.

Edited by Billy Ironcrane

OK ... I did some experiments last night.

If I open Affinity Photo 2 normally, I can create new documents, save them, and re-open.

That prompted me to experiment with some other saved files from Affinity1.  Affinity 2 was able to open them, and convert them without issue.

So ... it now seems the problem is limited to specific document(s) ... I'm still experimenting.

One problem document, for example, was originally created in Affinity1.  When I first loaded it into Affinity 2, it transitioned without issue, and when saved in the Affinity 2 format, I was able to open it and work on it for several days without issue.  Then suddenly, the Affinity 2 document would no longer load.  And ... surprisingly, the original Affinity 1 document would no longer load ... but, the original Affinity 1 document still loaded without issue into Affinity 1.

Still having the problem, but now with some additional wrinkles.  When I created new affinity2 photo files with certain *.jpg images, it would crash.  Same deal when I tried to import them under the 'File/Open' tab.  This has gotten pretty exasperating, especially since I've never experienced these issues with Serif products before.  For now, I'll have to revert to Affinity 1 for my work to be reliably stored, and retrievable. 

I am having similar problems with V2.3.1.  Documents crash the programme when trying to open them in all three apps.  I tried reinstalling one of the Apps (Photo) and found that the msix file in Downloads came up with an error message and would not load.  So I now have no Photo app.  Is this a known problem? Does anyone know how to resolve it? At the moment I am totally stymied.

I have now discovered a new issue which causes crashes.  It happens when I attempt to create a new document in Designer and want it colour formatted for CMWK - a big issue for me as my colour printer jobs require it.  But Designer crashes whenever I try to set up the document. No problem with setting up a new document as RGB.  So with the other issue of further crashes in all three Affinity apps when trying to open documents with images.  Affinity Support are aware of the issue but, so far, it ha snot been resolved. It is possible to create new documents without a problem.  But, for me, the crashing issue means I have no access to a document I have spent the last two months creating.  I really Affinity can come up with a fix otherwise I, and I suspect quite a few others, are lost.  It`s a pity because I am a great supporter of Affinity and have never had a problem in the past. 

I feel your pain.  As of this moment, I have no solution, but I do believe the tech folks are aware of it.  It worked fine for the first 14 days, but seriously ... at this stage, my disappointment is palpable.  I had been happy with version 1, and only wanted to support the developers by investing in the upgrade.  No refund possible, money down the drain I suppose.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...