You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello. I've encountered something unusual here, perhaps a bug or an unacknowledged feature/behavior.

I encountered this issue then drafting a bug report, eventually identifying the cause. To ensure clarity and prevent others from encountering the same problem, I will continue detailing my report.

In December 2023, I exported some artboards to PSD for use in After Effects by my animator friend. Unfortunately, I forgot the specific settings I used. However, the outcome was PSD files (artboard1, 2, 3, etc.) with preserved layer groups. The structure of the layers (grouping or nesting) remained intact, identical to the afdesigner files.

In January 2024, I needed to export the same file due to a major revision. The artboards increased, and some older ones contained more objects. Despite trying every possible setting, the result was consistent: the grouped layers were converted to a pixel layer (rasterized).

After spending three hours attempting various solutions, I resorted to using Affinity Publisher to open the afdesigner file, converting it to pages (from artboards), and then trying to convert it to PSD. Surprisingly, the group of layers remained in the PSD files.

Upon inspecting all the exported artboard##.PSD files, I discovered that they were not all the same; some were rasterized.

At this juncture, when attempting to create sample files for attachment (by reviewing the layer structure in Affinity Publisher), I identified some peculiar rules - a temporary solution to my problem and likely (99%) the cause of my confusion during the second PSD export:

As Affinity designers, when activating artboards, we have two choices: use the artboard layer as a background or create a new rectangle as a background. While this choice may seem unimportant, if you're incorporating PSD export into your workflow, you should be aware of the following rules in Affinity:

1. If we use the artboard as a background with any color, PSD export with export persona afdesigner will rasterize group layers.
    image.png.a9195e001660b1bcdaadbbb908e86a82.png --> PSD image.png.0b213109caf970f59c23cb6526acb97b.png
  2. If we use a new rectangle as a background and keep the artboard with no color, PSD export with export persona afdesigner will maintain the structure of group layers.
    image.png.1d4e404794d8341a26a143f2772cb6d5.png --> PSD image.png.a07b5d695b34a78a92fc83e806747220.png
  3. If we use the artboard as a background with any color except #FFFFFF, then convert artboards to spreads (afdesigner open with afpub) will result in a layers structure with "Artboard" as a parent. Exporting this structure to PSD will result in the rasterization of group layers. 
    image.png.395cb9d00cfaa5c168e32573c9e1b85d.png --> image.png.e4ac0176c13887d078ae8f90dee9c62d.png --> PSD image.png.1dcf3e751936fd95b1e8fc52be95f70b.png
  4. If we use the artboard as a background using color #FFFFFF OR use a rectangle as a background, then convert artboards to spreads will result in a layers structure without the "Artboard" layer. Exporting this structure to PSD will preserve the structure of group layers.
    image.png.b484d06dc539ab56ecdd2a3aca7ea315.png --> PSD image.png.0481156045579d7d4533db97d1a73004.png

image.png.3704d7b162623af296718e264c50a365.png --> PSD image.png.8ab9ae611611709eb36e957e6cfe34b7.png

I believe many Affinity users utilize PSD Export as a bridge to Adobe users. Therefore, this serves as a helpful guide unless the developers make any behavioral changes for this.

With this, I am also seeking confirmation from the Affinity Developers regarding this issue and would like insights into their planned course of action. Thank you.

Fal 

Test eXPORT.afdesign

• Staff

Hi Fal,

An Artboard without a fill is different to an artboard with a fill when exporting. If a fill is present, the artboard is exported as a rectangle object.

The layers setup shown means this would be a Rectangle, with a nested group containing further rectangles. This layers setup isn't compatible with PSD/Photoshop, therefore the nested groups must be rasterised to maintain layer structure.

Lee