You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Serif application icons are missing from taskbar (Windows 11)

Hello Everyone,

In my attempt to "debug" why all the app icons were missing from the taskbar (after uninstalling and reinstalling the apps, attempting to refresh icon cache, etc.) I began to enable and disable every taskbar feature available.

It was discovered that "Combine taskbar buttons and hide labels" is the culprit. 
The icons appear when the setting is set to "When the taskbar is full" or "Never." and disappear when set to "Always."

Serif apps are the only programs this happens to.

Can anyone else that is having issues with Icons Disappearing reproduce this problem?

----------

When the dropdown is set to "Always"

image.png.e5e67c08d15ceb2660d77c4dc85006f2.png

When the dropdown is set to "Never"

image.png.e5ecf62442ec6edd8161c8c4d254b2fc.png

• Staff

Hi @willcdotdev,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & thanks for your report!

I've asked a colleague of mine to check this on Windows 11 and unfortunately we're not seeing the same behaviour currently, as the below Taskbar settings show the Affinity app icon, as expected -

p8YsWZI.png

Can you please confirm for me, are you using Affinity MSIX or EXE installers for V2?

It may be specific to your monitor/resolution/scaling Windows setup - can you please confirm for me:

• the resolution of your monitor,
  • the resolution enabled in Windows under Settings > System > Display
  • the Scale % set under the same settings list for this monitor?

Do you have any other non-traditional Taskbar settings, or perhaps a third party app which changes the appearance of the taskbar/start menu in Windows?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

32 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @willcdotdev,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & thanks for your report!

I've asked a colleague of mine to check this on Windows 11 and unfortunately we're not seeing the same behaviour currently, as the below Taskbar settings show the Affinity app icon, as expected -

p8YsWZI.png

Can you please confirm for me, are you using Affinity MSIX or EXE installers for V2?

It may be specific to your monitor/resolution/scaling Windows setup - can you please confirm for me:

• the resolution of your monitor,
  • the resolution enabled in Windows under Settings > System > Display
  • the Scale % set under the same settings list for this monitor?

Do you have any other non-traditional Taskbar settings, or perhaps a third party app which changes the appearance of the taskbar/start menu in Windows?

Many thanks in advance :)

Hello Dan,

The resolution of the monitor is the recommended 1920x1080 with a normal 100% scale, and a plain-Jane installation of Windows 11 without any bells or whistles.
The installation was first using the MSIX version, then installed from Microsoft Store. Both of those failed to properly display the icons.

After reading your message I did uninstall the apps from the Microsoft Store and instead downloaded and installed the EXE version from the website.

The result is that the icons appear correctly from the EXE installation, and the absent icons appear to be isolated to the MSIX/Microsoft Store versions.

Thank you for responding so quickly Dan

Cheers,
Wm C

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me!

I only have access to Windows 10 currently, so I'll be sure to test this across a few machines shortly, to try and determine the exact cause & get this reported to our development team.

I'll be sure to update this thread with my findings ASAP :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!