You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Perspective tool mot working

The perspective mesh warp tool works only on vector objects, actually the nodes which define the shapes or curves. It does not work on bitmap objects or fill content. This is by design.

Use the perspective live filter from Affinity Photo instead. Unfortunately this live filter is unavailable on Designer on iPad in contrast to the desktop version of Designer 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 2 months later...
On 12/31/2023 at 5:52 AM, NotMyFault said:

The perspective mesh warp tool works only on vector objects, actually the nodes which define the shapes or curves. It does not work on bitmap objects or fill content. This is by design. 

(Instead of opening another thread, I thought of "re-using" the one.)

In the Desktop version, the Perspective and Mesh Warp tools seem to always rasterise a vector layer (e.g. Rectangle, Curve, etc). I can't observe the nodes being warped. Can someone confirm this?

If Perspective/Mesh Warp tools end up rasterising the layer, would it be a good idea to "remap" the Live Filter Perspective/Mesh Warp functionality into the Perspective/Mesh Warp tools? We can always rasterise any time we want, so it feels that the current Perspective/Mesh Warp tools are redundant and not as useful as the Live Filter ones.

5 hours ago, faulknermano said:

In the Desktop version, the Perspective and Mesh Warp tools seem to always rasterise a vector layer (e.g. Rectangle, Curve, etc). I can't observe the nodes being warped. Can someone confirm this?

cannot confirm. 
there are 2 types of tools:

• the mesh warp tools. Works on vector objects only, ignores bitmap layers or bitmap fills. Result can be converted to curves again to achieve vector exports.
  • the perspective / mesh live filter. Working on every layer type and gives bitmap results only.

Hope that clarifies your question.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

13 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

cannot confirm. 
there are 2 types of tools:

• the mesh warp tools. Works on vector objects only, ignores bitmap layers or bitmap fills. Result can be converted to curves again to achieve vector exports.
  • the perspective / mesh live filter. Working on every layer type and gives bitmap results only.

Hope that clarifies your question.

Thanks for replying. I think I might be getting it wrong, but when you say "mesh warp tools" are you referring to the ones found in the Tools/toolbar panel on the left?

That is what I'm using; I've recorded my problem in the attached gif. Every time I click on the Mesh Warp (or even the Perspective Tool) button, Assistant converts my layer into Pixel. If I turn off Assistant, the Mesh Warp/Perspective Tool has no effect on the Curve layer. I must be doing something wrong?

afphoto-mesh-warp-1.gif

Actually warp group is the correct term:

https://affinity.help/designer2/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/ObjectControl/warp.html&title=Warping objects

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/exploring-warping-techniques/

• Select one or more objects.
  • Do one of the following:
    • Warp On the Layers panel, select Warp.
    • Select Layer>Warp Group.

@NotMyFault I appreciate you taking the time; thank you for help. But I think I perhaps failed to mention that I am using Affinity Photo 2, not Designer? I followed the documentation you linked, but there is no Warp Group in Affinity Photo 2 as far as I can make out. But I think this is fine; as long as I know what each tool is doing, it's good; and there still Live Filter to work on bitmaps.

Ok, i see.

So trying to putting the pieces together:

in Photo: the tools (from the left) can rasterize, this depends on the settings in the assistant section.

Alternatively, you can use the live filter versions. Those will not rasterize the layers inside the document.

Never the less, if you export the document the result will always be rasterized / bitmap.

In Designer:

it offers the live filter version, and the mesh warp group. The mesh warp group does not rasterize, but affects only the nodes of the shapes / curves. Export of layers with mesh warp group can stay vector in nothing else leads to rasterization.