You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature request: drag-and-drop LUTs

It would be useful to be able to drag-and-drop .cube (or .png HALD, but that's a different feature) LUTs onto an image to create a new LUT adjustment layer with the given LUT. Right now trying out different LUTs is pretty awkward (unless I'm missing something).

50 minutes ago, akx said:

Right now trying out different LUTs is pretty awkward (unless I'm missing something).

What method are you using now?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

What method are you using now?

1. Create LUT adjustment layer
  2. Hit the small Load LUT button
  3. Browse to some folder of LUTs
  4. Choose a LUT, hit OK
  5. Repeat steps 2 to 4 until a suitable look may or may not be found.

Being able to drag and drop LUTs into the LUT adjustment layer popover would also be useful, to replace a LUT there – and best still would be a LUT gallery that'd show previews of various LUTs in a given folder (tree)...

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, akx said:

and best still would be a LUT gallery that'd show previews of various LUTs in a given folder (tree)...

You can view LUTs that you've installed in an Affinity application in the Adjustments panel, in the LUTs section of the panel. However, since 1.9 (I think) it will only give you the names of the LUTs. Prior to then the Adjustments panel did display previews of what each LUT would do to your image, but that caused some major performance issues due to the need to recreate the thumbnail images for each installed LUT, and some users had hundreds or thousands installed. So Serif stopped displaying the previews.

Nonetheless, you could install your LUTs:

image.png.55ad0322034a9e43e2d2e499359c3ec9.png

Once you've done that, to add a LUT adjustment layer, open the Adjustments panel, scroll to LUT, select one you'd like to try, and click it. A LUT adjustment will be added. To try a different one, just click on it in the Adjustments panel. That may be quicker than what you're doing now.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

40 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That may be quicker than what you're doing now.

Ah, that certainly is faster and more convenient, thank you for the tip!

Now, it would be convenient if I could import an entire folder of LUTs as a category without having to create a new category and so on. See, I may or may not have accidentally imported 45 LUTs into the default category just now, and I don't see a way to move them to another category en masse. Looks like they were imported into ~/Library/Group Containers/6LVTQB9699.com.seriflabs/v2/user/adjustments.propcol, but .propcol is apparently a Serif proprietary format – had it been, say, SQLite, I would've whipped up a tool for this myself...

Alternately, if I could just point the Affinity suite at my Resources/LUTs directory and have it read from over there instead of having everything in a single propcol file...

43 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

that caused some major performance issues due to the need to recreate the thumbnail images for each installed LUT, and some users had hundreds or thousands installed.

Well, I suppose it'd be good enough to lazily generate the thumbnails for only the LUTs that are visible in the list at any given moment :)