You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I am new in this forum and also to Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. I wonder how I can create a graphic like this (see attachment). Is there any tutorial to build such a ball and place pictures on it?

Thanks a lot!
Martin

post-29395-0-12556100-1459796338_thumb.jpg

I'm no expert.  But here is my input to you, for what it is worth.

There appear to be two elements, foreground and background.

For the background, I would probably use a combination of brushes and colors to create a streak pattern.

Then place those within an ellipse object, adjust size rotation, add some FX like blur, etc.  Use a combination of outer glow and inner shadow on the ellipses used.

For the foreground.  Assuming the array of picture is not created.  I would start by creating that.

First place an image into a file, File-place command.  Set the size and stroke to your desired appearance. 

I would start with one image and with snapping on, place the original in the left corner, alt-drag to place a copy to the right of it, power duplicate, cmd-j across the top.

Select the row, shift-alt-drag down to make a second row.  Power duplicate that down the page.

I grouped them together.

select each place image and change it as appropriate.

I then added an spherical filter and adjusted.

post-12258-0-17392500-1459801857_thumb.png

I would then place that array of images distorted within a circle/ellipse object and adjust it with a combination of outer glow, and inner shadow.

Now I am sure there are many methods, and most likely better than the one I used.  But I add this for your consideration.

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure if this is the easiest way to reach the goal. I am just interested in the photo ball not the background. I try something with shapes. Ball an sickle but I am not happy with it actually.

Bildschirmfoto_2016_04_04_um_23_13_42.jp

Crabtrem shows a great raster option! (make sure you've got plenty of resolution).

Vector-wise I think you're on the right track.

On that particular ball the lines don't appear to all converge at the poles. (I've seen them done both ways though)

These were my steps:

Pic 1: Used the crescent tool to make these eight shapes

post-12544-0-35448100-1459872266_thumb.png

Pic 2: Expand stroke and boolean add. All one web now.

post-12544-0-81267800-1459872264_thumb.png

Pic 3: To get blocks instead of lines... Boolean subtract what's in pic 2 from a solid circle.

post-12544-0-20819800-1459872261_thumb.png

Pic 4: If you want... Select the new object and in Nodes mode hit simplify. As you can see.... not too nodey  B) .

post-12544-0-10214500-1459872260_thumb.png

If you then Boolean expand the blue object, each section will be it's own discrete vector shape ready to be a frame for individual images.

Cheers

Good luck to you.

I have decided against the File-Place in place of making an array of squares, and using paste-inside to hold the pictures.  I then went through the same process of using the spherical filter, and pasting that inside a circle with some FX added.

post-12258-0-94970600-1459897569_thumb.png

Hope you find success with your method.  Look forward to seeing a result.