You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Camera "film emulation" setting applied on raw files?

A raw file is open by AP as raw (of course), with no correction, but in case the camera is set to shoot (say) in raw and B&W (or any other specific "film emulation" setting given by the different camera producers) if I open the raw with other tools (like Imatch or Irfanview), the camera emulation setting is applied. This is more evident with Fuji, where this kind of emulations are widely used, but it is the same with Nikon or Leica, just to say. This impilies that the raw files embeds somewhere this type of information and Imatch/Irfanview use them to show the image with such settings.

The question is: is it there some way to tell AP to open the raw file using the camera emulation settings (hopefully in Develop Persona)? :35_thinking:

Maxbe

Imatch/Irfanview probably are only showing up the embedded thumbs preview file (JPG) of the raw file here, so they don’t know either how to develop the initial raw file with an camera vendor specific applied film emulation setting.

I doubt APh can apply cam vendor specific film modes to RAWs as cam vendor specific raw software can (for example as Nikon NXStudio can). For APh you would probably need some to those film emulation matching LUTs then to apply on your own.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

40 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Imatch/Irfanview probably are only showing up the embedded thumbs preview file (JPG) of the raw file here, so they don’t know either how to develop the initial raw file with an camera vendor specific applied film emulation setting.

I doubt APh can apply cam vendor specific film modes to RAWs as cam vendor specific raw software can (for example as Nikon NXStudio can). For APh you would probably need some to those film emulation matching LUTs then to apply on your own.

That is what I was thinking too (and it is too the most obvious interpretation), but the (apparent) quality of the view with Irfanview/Imatch is so high (looking at 100% size) that made me think...

Tweaking with settings (at least with Irfanview) I was able to force the load of the original raw, that (as is, SOOC) is less impressive than the preview!

I agree too that AP is unlikely to apply vendor specific settings, which (thinking better) vendors will probably not show publicly...