You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo crashes when i apply a macro on an exr from Blender (OCIO)

Phil360

Hy,

since i loaded the blender 4.0 ocio file as in your official video my app keeps crashing random when i try to apply the filmic macro from james ritson on a exr from blender.

also the ocio viewtransform is greyed out and not working with linear files for me...

When i load the 3.6. ocio config then it also isnt working.

With another ocio the colors get flipped till i choose another viewtransform and then revert it back.

the whole ocio colormanagement seems to be messed up.

thanks for any hints

EDIT: i reproduced the BUG please see the second video for the workaround. it seams that after a cold start of affinity you need to open then close and reopen again to work with the macro without a crash. but you also have to click on the layers randomly...without that it wont work.

EDIT2: also when you change from 32bit to 16bit the app crashes

Affinity 2.2.0.2005

Win 11 pro 22H2 22621.2428

RTX 4090

64gb ram

I9 13900k no OC

Edited by Phil360
step

• Staff

Hi @Phil360,

Could you possibly provide the EXR file shown in your recording, along with the .afmacro file from your library, and the config.ocio file you're using? I can then confirm if the problems can be replicated and then logged with the developers. I've included a private upload link below for the requested files.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/cp7KGjC6MHYtIhcU8KjJ

Many thanks!

• Staff

Hi @Phil360,

Thanks for sending those over, I've replicated your OCIO setup in the app settings > tools, followed the steps shown in your recording but thus far i've not had the app crash when applying any JR Macros or converting the working colour space. We do have fairly similar setups but I'm on Ryzen and Windows 10, so there may be some other environmental factors at play. Could you send me a screenshot of your app preferences > performance window, and confirm if turning off 'Hardware Acceleration' and restarting the app causes the crash issue to persist on first open?

I can't help but notice the EXR file in your recording is different to the one you've sent me, but I'm guessing you've also had the exact same crash occur on the EXR file I have?

It may also help in this circumstance if you could provide a few recent crash reports after encountering the Macro crash, the FAQ below details how to find these.

Many thanks!

Hy @NathanC

i turned off hardware acceleration and the app didn't crash.

what can i do here, because its necessary to work with hadware acceleration?

what about the missing viewtransform settings? you see it in the right corner that there is no view transform available.

btw: yes it happens to all exr's in that environment. but i can send you the other file to if you want.

Edit: crashlog

thx a lot

phil

270bda12-b46f-4876-8f6a-4d9f49107dfe.dmp

• Staff

Hi @Phil360,

It's a bit of a tough one to advise on as there can be many environment variables involved, Hardware acceleration doesn't always work perfectly with certain hardware/software configurations which can greatly vary between users and setups. For what it's worth I also have a 4090 in my setup and this doesn't crash with H/A turned on or off for comparison. You could try doing a clean re-installation of the latest Nvidia drivers, and also in the 3D control panel set 3D settings to 'let the application decide' to see if that has any impact with H/A on, but there's no guarantee unfortunately.

14 minutes ago, Phil360 said:

what about the missing viewtransform settings? you see it in the right corner that there is no view transform available.

I'm also seeing this with the config file, I'll get back to you on this.

• Staff

Hi @Phil360,

Just regarding the display transforms not becoming available in the EXR, the config.ocio file alone isn't enough to enable display transforms, you'll need a package of supporting files available in the same directory, if you link to the config.ocio file to a directory which contains the supporting files required it should then work.

image.png

https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Clr/ocio.html?title=Using OpenColorIO

Setup and usage video tutorial: