You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

replacing an object in a group/layer/board with another object (with snap)?

Hi there,

I'm doing UI design work rather than illustration. I have this repeat pattern of lost time where I need to replace an object in some kind of grouping with a new one I have created, and I need it to inherit the dimensions of the object I am replacing. 

This is kind of "pre" using Symbols. 

Right now, I have to either drag it around the long layer panel, or I have to drag it around a long canvas. Then I got to do all the resizing and what not. While this doesn't take forever, maybe say 20 seconds to a minute, when I have to repeat it over and over potentially 50 times a day. Well, that's a half hour I could be doing other things. 

Is it possible?  If not can you put it in your feature request que?  

Hi,

to raise a feature request simply open. A thread in the feedback section of the forum.

Regarding your question:

Can you plan ahead for such changes, or do you edit only existing files?

If the size of an group is important, and the object needs to be replaced occasionally, i would add a rectangle as clipping layer with the requires size. This simplifies replacements.

But it really depends on the actual circumstances, e.g. objects can be non-rectangular.

Constraint groups may simplify your task, e.g. by auto-resizing objects to parent objects.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, mpstaton said:

@NotMyFault constraint groups are a thing?

how can you live without them 😄

just a random tutorial 

https://youtu.be/gaZgF4iIhkk?si=-qERJzLI9kx0WGaX

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.