You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity 2.2.0 no longer recognizing alternate (italic, bold, etc) versions of a font

I recently opened up a Publisher file to create a new version and noticed one of the fonts (Marion) was broken. I eventually got the regular version to work (I moved my fonts to my User folder instead of the main Library folder) however, it still does not recognize the italic or bold versions of this font.

I tried deleting and downloading the files again, but nothing changed. I thought it was a Publisher problem, but Designer does not recognize the alternate versions either. I thought it might be a TTF vs OTF problem, so I downloaded OTF versions, but neither Affinity app sees anything but Marion Regular.

I tested in TextEdit, and it sees all variations of the font. This makes me think it's an Affinity problem, not a font file problem.

I'm running Publisher 2.2.0 on Mac OS 13.6.

I need these alternates to work. Help!

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 12.54.44.png

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 12.55.07.png

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 13.02.07.png

Marion is an Apple "Document-support font" on Ventura (13).
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213266#document

These fonts are available only to documents that already use the font, or to apps that request the font by name. Some are older fonts that were included with earlier versions of macOS or Apple apps.

Affinity does not support the new Apple font controls.

The only work-around is to rename the fonts (properly, including the PostScript Name).

On 10/13/2023 at 1:47 PM, kenmcd said:

Marion is an Apple "Document-support font" on Ventura (13).
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213266#document

Affinity does not support the new Apple font controls.

The only work-around is to rename the fonts (properly, including the PostScript Name).

Oh geez! Thanks!

Is this something I should do with a tool like Transtype? Or can I just open the font folder and rename them directly? I've been struggling with this for so long, I don't want to break anything!

You cannot just rename the files. You need to use a tool which will properly change all the internal name fields inside the font.

Based on some discussions I have seen regarding this issue, it appears that Apple keys on the internal PostScript Name field.

Yes, TransType will work, if used properly. After you change the Family Name - change the Style Group to match. Then tab through the fields and make sure the PostScript Name displayed changes to match.

I usually change the name to show where it was discussed - such as Marion AF. That way months from now you know this font was modified, and why, and how.

When done change the file names to match the PostScript Names (which is SOP today).