You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Solved AD 2+ How do i cut out areas and create new layers with those cut out areas?

Thats it.  I have a png image of several different  images on it.  I want to cut out each one and put it in a separate layer.  How do i do that?  I have tried the lasso, to quickly circle one, and then copy and paste it, but it copies the whole image, not just my selection.  What is up with that?    

Ok thanks.

To copy/paste part of an image via a selection the image needs to be a Pixel Layer rather than an Image Layer, otherwise the whole image will be copied/pasted.

You can convert an Image Layer to a Pixel Layer by rasterising it – in Layers Panel, right-click the Image Layer and choose “Rasterise” from the menu.

If you really wan't to cut out portions, you would have of course use cut & paste and not copy & paste, as the later (copy/paste) will just create a copy of the selected area in a new layer but won't remove the initial selected one.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

To copy/paste part of an image via a selection the image needs to be a Pixel Layer rather than an Image Layer, otherwise the whole image will be copied/pasted.

You can convert an Image Layer to a Pixel Layer by rasterising it – in Layers Panel, right-click the Image Layer and choose “Rasterise” from the menu.

OH, i didnt rasterize it, i just went into pixel mode, thinking that rasterized it.  OK!  Thank you so very much.

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

If you really wan't to cut out portions, you would have of course use cut & paste and not copy & paste, as the later (copy/paste) will just create a copy of the selected area in a new layer but won't remove the initial selected one.

yes i wanted to copy and paste several of the same one, or duplicate the copies.  

9 minutes ago, Anyone2 said:

yes i wanted to copy and paste several of the same one, or duplicate the copies.  

Then follow GarryP's advice. - And note that cut out area as you initially stated is term wise not the same as copying an area here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

20 minutes ago, Anyone2 said:

OH, i didnt rasterize it, i just went into pixel mode, thinking that rasterized it.

The difference between Pixel Layers and Image Layers catches a lot of people out at first, including me.

If it helps, you can think of an Image Layer as something waiting to be rasterised later, either by yourself manually or automatically upon export. (Probably not the best, or most technically accurate, analogy but an easy one to keep in mind.)

5 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Then follow GarryP's advice. - And note that cut out area as you initially stated is term wise not the same as copying an area here.

lol, yes i know.  In reality it doesnt matter what i wanted to do with the selection, cut it out, copy it, paint over it, nada.  That was not the point!  The point was even though the selection was made, it did not select that area, but selected the whole image. Period.

38 minutes ago, Anyone2 said:

lol, yes i know.  In reality it doesnt matter what i wanted to do with the selection, cut it out, copy it, paint over it, nada.  That was not the point!  The point was even though the selection was made, it did not select that area, but selected the whole image. Period.

So user's usage error! ;-)

6 hours ago, Anyone2 said:

You must have something better to do with your time then to troll.

Definitely for posts like this here!