You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drive text, object sizes & positions as well as table values by expressions

It would be cool if you could drive text, object sizes and table values by expressions. The way I see this is that their respective input fields could get a button to indicate they are expression driven. You could input an expression as "= A + B", which is different from the "A+B" input we use now to define/ calculate a value.

The values that are defined should then be exposed as variables, which can be used to build expressions with.

Example
Say I have a document that is 280 mm high, I have top and bottom margins of 15 mm and want to structure my document using baseline grids. In that case I might define the baseline grid height as: (Page Height - Top margin - Bottom margin)/ Number of divisions for baseline grid. In turn, if I have text that 3/4 the height of my body text, I could would be able to define it as such. That way, you could more easily make changes to the document and update all of the properties that are driven by expressions accordingly.

Similarly, this would enable the creation of a adjustable layout for UI designs. A bit like using an app like Penpot, I suppose.