You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What order to use auto-corrections?

I was hoping you folks could tell me in what order I should apply the auto-corrections to my JPEGs for the best results?

Auto levels, contrast, colors, and white balance.  In what order should they be applied?  I don't want to be using them and end up getting some sort of feedback loop using them in the wrong order.  

Also, does this order apply to RAW files as well?

Thank you!

There is no generally "best" order. It depends on the required adjustments. Consider that many adjustments affect the same (the RGB values of pixels) but with different interface, as for instance level and curves do both affect the visible contrast, while contrast affects saturation, sharpness affects contrast, … etc.

That doesn't mean the order doesn't matter but rather the adjustments most often influence each other. You can avoid or reduce a feedback loop with choosing the adjustments / filters corresponding to the required result.

You can experience yourself: Change the hierarchical layer order of separate adjustment or filter layers (more obvious with extreme changes). As long you don't "Merge Visible" and/or "Rasterize" the workflow is non-destructive.

in the Develop Module there is no way to switch a layer order. But in V1 your developing adjustments get burned into the pixel layer while in V2 you can still modify your RAW adjustments at a later moment.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I'm mostly doing quick editing of photos I took at a baseball game for the team, so my thought process is thus:

Start with auto white balance as the "baseline" so I'm good with a more "natural" look.

Then I apply auto-colors to further refine the colors aspect of the JPEG/RAW.

Then I go with auto-levels to further refine that aspect.

Finally I use the auto-contrast to hopefully create good contrast between nice, natural colors.

Do you see any errors in my thought process above or a basic misunderstanding of what each of those options do?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, CybrSlydr said:

(...) good (...) nice, natural colors.

Do you see any errors in my thought process above or a basic misunderstanding of what each of those options do?

You seem to think of an objective "true" image appearance – whereas I would say it depends on your individual perception + taste*. For instance white balance: Let's say it was taken in a reddish daylight during sunset: what is "natural" then? To maintain the red tint or to eliminate it, to keep reddish skin or shirts or to fake(?) a "neutral" daylight colour. And how about pictures in a hall with neon lights, a stadium with sodium-vapor lamps? Do they need to get green or orange on white surfaces removed? *What is it that makes us want to adjust digital images at all? Is it cameras doing bad jobs, resulting in "wrong" images? Or our individually different emotions and ideas? Or just because "we can"?

Concerning literally auto-corrections: I am not familiar with them, actually I avoid this functions and don't know what they do exactly (they don't make it transparent for instance in shifted slider positions).

To get understanding of the influence of the order I recommend again simply to experience it yourself: Choose an image with a wide range, means some underexposed and some overexposed midtone areas. Copy this layer 2x. Then apply the 4 auto-corrections in one order to one copy, then in the opposite order to the other copy. Finally compare the 3 results.

Then choose which order results more "natural". The 2x4 corrections takes you a minute or so, the decision might take longer, and even be different if you compare the 3 pictures tomorrow or next week. If wanted apply the auto-corrections in the preferred ("better result") order to another image, taken at different light or containing quite different colour appearance for instance. If you don't like the result, try the other order.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1