You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color profiles: recommendations for workspace and export?

...or colour...

I've been typically only working in sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (both in workspace and assigning it when exporting), but like the idea of doing more in ProPhoto. I did some tests below to see the difference it can make. (The png below was export with sRGB IEC61966-2.1)  Are there other color profiles I should check? But then also I was wondering does it make a difference if the final result is viewed online. Will it just be reduced to sRGB anyway?

What are some major pitfalls to avoid when assigning, converting, embedding, or not embedding various color profiles?

Also related to this is how to use the Soft Proof Adjustment.

test.png.5f630f98c5b0bc2a0bed77bdd0a20166.png

The best idea is always to solve concrete problems and remember if it works, don't fix it. If you don't see any problems in your images and can't find any immediate differences in real images, then I don't think you should spend too much time on it.

I've only occasionally needed to change defaults, I've had more need to go up to 16-bit, but even that is rare. Along the way, I learned to focus less on options and more on solving problems.

Anyway, if you ask a very theoretical question, the answers will be theoretical and not much will have happened. 🙂

Do you have any images and workflows where you think more is needed?

Best

Barry