You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open a new file with a default column guide or grid setting?

Is there a way to set a default for column guide or grid settings?

I often find my self working on a document and just needing a quick grid to line things up, so I use the keyboard shortcut and nothing shows up, then I need to go open the window and pick a preset for anything to show up. (I think Photoshop would always have the previous grid remembered.)

(I'm using Affinity Photo 2.1.1 specifically)

In short, no. FWIW, it's possible to save grid settings as a preset, but not columns.

It's possible to use File>Export As Template... to save an .aftemplate file and keep the settings stored that way. When you open a new file, you would just select it from the Templates area (creating a clean new file) and it will have the same makeup. The downside is you will need to create one for different dimensions. For me, this is preferable as I use these all the time for grid systems I've built for mockups.

1 minute ago, debraspicher said:

In short, no. FWIW, it's possible to save grid settings as a preset, but not columns.

It's possible to use File>Export As Template... to save an .aftemplate file and keep the settings stored that way. When you open a new file, you would just select it from the Templates area (creating a clean new file) and it will have the same makeup. The downside is you will need to create one for different dimensions. For me, this is preferable as I use these all the time for grid systems I've built for mockups.

Thanks, yeah, that is a good idea. I should develop better templates.

I was just thinking about the application of instead of starting with a new file, when I open other files (like photos I took) and I just want to quickly check alignment. I find myself using the grid keyboard shortcut and having to take the extra step to go set up a grid. And especially if I'm doing this for many photos, checking all their alignment, that setting up a grid every time can get frustrating.

12 minutes ago, moretap said:

Thanks, yeah, that is a good idea. I should develop better templates.

I was just thinking about the application of instead of starting with a new file, when I open other files (like photos I took) and I just want to quickly check alignment. I find myself using the grid keyboard shortcut and having to take the extra step to go set up a grid. And especially if I'm doing this for many photos, checking all their alignment, that setting up a grid every time can get frustrating.

Apparently, we can store column guide, grid settings as a Macro. That surprised me, actually. I just checked. You can record the Macro and then load it in Library. Hopefully that makes the process far simpler. (Edit) The only matter that can't be programmed in is show/hide grid+columns, but easy enough to use a shortcut. I have one set for Column Guides (Ctrl + \)

image.png.c982ce0b728a8cb4528cd146270d6d2b.png

6 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

Apparently, we can store column guide, grid settings as a Macro. That surprised me, actually. I just checked. You can record the Macro and then load it in Library. Hopefully that makes the process far simpler. (Edit) The only matter that can't be programmed in is show/hide grid+columns, but easy enough to use a shortcut. I have one set for Column Guides (Ctrl + \)

image.png.c982ce0b728a8cb4528cd146270d6d2b.png

Great, I just tried it. 

It is interesting that for Column Guides, the previously used Style and Color are remembered, but not the Columns, Rows and Gutter. 

26 minutes ago, moretap said:

Great, I just tried it. 

It is interesting that for Column Guides, the previously used Style and Color are remembered, but not the Columns, Rows and Gutter. 

It remembers for me fine, but it's sensitive to what measurement system is used whether it displays correctly in the "new" document. Also, when recording the Macro, it's necessary to make every change explicitly while recording. It will not remember preexisting settings.

7 hours ago, debraspicher said:

It remembers for me fine, but it's sensitive to what measurement system is used whether it displays correctly in the "new" document. Also, when recording the Macro, it's necessary to make every change explicitly while recording. It will not remember preexisting settings.

Sorry, I meant when not using macros. The macros work fine for me.