You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

brush engine v photoshop's

Is it just me, or is the brush engine in AP some way behind that in Photoshop?

Most of the time I'm editing photos, so drawing features don't bother me that much but occasionally I'll find myself in the mood for some digital doodling.

I've tried AP's own brushes and also imported some custom brushes (which simulate 'real' pencils, a variety from 2H to 2B) from Photoshop but I can't get anything like the same smoothness of line in AP.

I've tried both my Wacom tablet and mouse, but makes no difference.

Now, I understand  perfectly that this kind of thing is going to be far from a priority but just wondered what others were experiencing.

I did try searching and found a few users who reckoned it was an issue with Wacom support, but even with a mouse (not something I'd want to use for any length of time when drawing, obviously) the results are nothing like PS.

Other than that, outstanding piece of software. Top marks to all those developing this amazing tool.

Krita (open source digital painting) by far outpaces Photoshop in regards to brush engine and overall artistic tools. There is just no comparison. The Mac version is getting better lately, so if you are looking for powerful digital painting tools, look no further. Even HDR painting is supported, symmetry painting, seamless texture painting, and so on, and so forth.

Quite amazing it is open source, and free software. I use this and nothing else to paint digitally with nowadays.

https://krita.org/

Get the latest build for El Capitan here (includes animation!):

https://krita.org/item/krita-2-9-11-and-the-second-3-0-alpha-build/

Thanks, paolo.

Difficult to explain - it just feels as though the lines are more pixelated, somehow (in the same way that lines in PS are more pixelated than those in MangaStudio).

I probably need to spend more time playing around with settings.

Although I've imported brushes from PS, I'm not convinced that all the settings are maintained.

I did take a look at Krita but even on their website they warn that the Mac version is unstable right now so I'm guessing I won't go too far down that road right now.

Thanks, paolo.

Difficult to explain - it just feels as though the lines are more pixelated, somehow (in the same way that lines in PS are more pixelated than those in MangaStudio).

I probably need to spend more time playing around with settings.

Although I've imported brushes from PS, I'm not convinced that all the settings are maintained.

I did take a look at Krita but even on their website they warn that the Mac version is unstable right now so I'm guessing I won't go too far down that road right now.

AP imports only brush tips (ABR) so you have to build up settings from scratch.

If you're seeking for comics ink style MS5 offers the best settings available today to have a clean and sharp line (you can choose among 3 different levels of anti aliasing).

Anyway the level of Anti-Alias offered by Paint brush Tool in AP is almost the same available in PS... So I think It's a matter of settings here.

Try these settings

crisp_lines.png

This is a screenshot of a 100% A3 file at 300dpi, is this any suitable for you?

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Fantastic.

Thank You, paolo.

User error, on my part, for sure.

I think my Spacing was too high, for a start.

And the thing about AP importing just the brush tips will make me more careful in future.

I'm now getting beautiful lines. (Most often, I'll be using 1px or 2px brush, to simulate pencil, and I'm now getting super sharp lines, at least as good as anything PS ever gave me.

So, yep, user error. Apologies to the devs for suggesting there was anything wrong with their brush engine. :-)

Thanks, again, paolo. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out there, and for taking the trouble to add the screenshot. Super useful.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.