You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Perfect settings for printing a photo book

Dear all, What are the perfect settings if I would like to print a photo book. Unfortunately the print shop is not of much help. They support Indesign, mainly. But they need to have RGB, only.

What are your preferred settings? Compare screenshot enclosed (sorry for the German version).

Thank you and best regards, Michael

PDF-Export-Settings.PNG

• Staff

Hi @MR1,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

17 hours ago, MR1 said:

What are the perfect settings if I would like to print a photo book. Unfortunately the print shop is not of much help

Print settings will vary depending on the printer / print software in use, so unfortunately only your print shop could guarantee the best settings to use.

However in general export terms for your project, I'd recommend the following:

image.png

Though please note I cannot guarantee these are the correct settings to use, as mentioned above certain print software requires specific settings for printing PDF files that may not be covered by the above.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Dear @Dan C, Thanks for your feedback. It seems, that I'm on a good way. ;-)

Why have you deactivated "Rastern mit DPI"? I have entered "300" here. What is the field about?

image.png.1709d994a61b61e4e2ff30cfe929f1e0.png

Actually, the print shop demands to downsample the pictures above 300 dpi to 300 dpi. And RGB / sRGB IEC61966,2.1. This is why I entered these information.

"schwarz überdrucken" is deactivated. So, I can't check this.

image.png.ab83256ebc57ff056685b96edef2ea0f.png

I would try printing with these settings. if you notice anything else, please let me know.

Best regards, Michael

• Staff
18 minutes ago, MR1 said:

Why have you deactivated "Rastern mit DPI"? I have entered "300" here. What is the field about?

As I unticked the 'downsample images' option, the Raster DPI is no longer a required value in my test document - as no objects were being rasterised upon export.

If your print show has recommended that you downsample images, there is no issue with having this option enabled, and 300 DPI is the correct value to use for the 'Raster DPI' option.

20 minutes ago, MR1 said:

"schwarz überdrucken" is deactivated. So, I can't check this.

This is due to you exporting to RGB / sRGB, so overprinting black (schwarz überdrucken) would not be required :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Dear all, these were my final settings, which I would like to share. The result @Saal-Digital was close to perfect. Very good colors, resolution as well as transparencies/drop shadows. Just in case anyone is interested. Best regards, Michael

image.png.43f412514225ec30bb3fc6bae0a2027e.png