You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color gradient

How can I create a consistent, even colour gradient? I have a colourful gradient and the gradient palette shows me uniformity, but the real gradient has mainly the blue colouring from 0 to 50. However, it should change to green at about 20 (see screenshots attached). In addition, the colour representation does not match the designations in the colour palette (see another screenshot).

Bildschirm­foto 2023-04-01 um 12.40.36.png

Bildschirm­foto 2023-04-01 um 12.26.13.png

Bildschirm­foto 2023-04-01 um 12.25.43.png

Gradients are quite tricky.

Is there reason you are working in CMYK? This is even more difficult, as opacity and tint are related but opposite concepts.

A gradient does a brutally basic linear interpolation of the available color channels (including alpha) between the nodes.

The resulting colors will look unrealistic (or ugly), as saturation and luminosity will change. But HSL is a RGB concept, and cannot be translated directly to CMYK. CMYK cannot create all combinations of Hue and saturation from HSL, and there is no real „CMYK HSL“ tool.

To get a good looking „rainbow“ gradient, you need more complex approaches. 

Additional tips:

• if using CMYK, dont use K, or keep it constant. Otherwise saturation and luminosity will change in gradient.
  • Is there a reason why you use transparency in the gradient nodes („Deckkraft“)? This complicates things massively. I would suggest to leave it at 100%. If required, modify transparency on layer, but not in gradient nodes (when using CMYK).

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Danke für die schnellen Hinweise. CMYK wird verwendet, da die Zeitschrift gedruckt wird. Aber ok, ich werde mal RGB probieren und auch die Transparenz fortlassen.

Thanks for the quick tips. CMYK is used because the magazine is printed. But ok, I will try RGB and also leave out the transparency.

Another aspect I may have missed: you say the blue area is too wide. 

It depends on to what layer / object you have applied the gradient, and where exactly the nodes are positioned - while the gradient tool is active (not only the gradient fill UI).

I assume the gradient fill has not been applied to the "best" object. Can you share the actual file?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Thank you for your further interest. I solved the problem following your first advice: made a RGB-file and took RGB-gradient. Then I transferred the result as text box in my actual document. Sure it changed colours due to RGB-CMYK-change, but the gradient was consistant and even. See screenshot of the small line with hand-coloured writing as attachment.

As you have deeper interest I reconstructed the file from yesterday with time machine and attach here the publisher-file as well. 

Bildschirm­foto 2023-04-02 um 08.41.06.png

CLB5-6-2023verlauf.afpub