You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Compound Objects change stroke widths

Something is bothering me a lot about stroke widths. If you have to shapes with stroke width of 3 for example and create a compound object either with or without holding ALT to keep it live, the compound object will have what appears to be a random stroke width. This number is different in Designer and Photo,

In the attached video you can see the issue. As an aside its also really annoying that you cannot change the width on multiple selections - really annoying. The only way I have found is to group them first.

I would expect in the case of multiple objects having the same width, the compound object would inherit exactly the same stroke width.

In the case of the multiple objects having different widths, I would accept the compound object inhering the largest of the widths. I just don't understand it changing to what appears to be a random number.

StrokeWeightChange.mov

• Staff

Hi AnadinX,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm already aware of the width changes when creating compound objects. This is already logged to be looked at.

You can change the stroke width of multiple objects without grouping them. Just select them all, change to the Node Tool, go to the width dropdown and change the value.

Awesome good to know, thanks for the hint about the node tool. 

Interestingly part of my confusion was that the node tool is not selectable with compound curves or multi-selected compound curves but it turns out the corner tool is and the stroke width drop down is there. In the case of compound curves it seems an odd place to find it?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been having the same stroke width problem for a few weeks now. Glad to know that it's already reported as an issue. 

I'm also glad I found this thread, because I've been struggling with the multiple object stroke width behavior for a long time. I never realized the right way to do that was the Note tool, and now it still doesn't make sense to me. I think it would be more intuitive and quicker for users to just select multiple objects and have the same stroke panel. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.