You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AFPUB 2.0.4 Crash: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Rak Arthus

Hi,

I'm experiencing same crash of Affinity Publisher on two documents (brochure).

Mac 2018 : Ventura 13.2.1 , 16go ram, Intel 
Afpub : 2.0.4

I'm thought that recreate same document and copy and paste layers from the previous document that crash could be enough to solve the issue, but no.

Afpub crash when a save the file either using ctrl+s or folder -> save the file,  only after a long period of work.

I am sure that this problem come from cache management of Afpub.

My Mac has no more cache available using publisher, I have to clear the cache regularly with Clean My Mac.

I use many 4k photos , normally they are integrated as a link but I note that Afpub use lot of cache each time I add new one and I divert the silhouette.

it's really annoying and it stops me from moving forward. I can't see myself recreating a new document and copying the content each time from previous file.

Is it possible that the last update of MacOS created a conflict ?

The recovery version saves my work but some of it is still lost and I can't afford to lose time !

Beginning of crash report 

Process:               Affinity Publisher 2 [7324]
Path:                  /Applications/Affinity Publisher 2.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity Publisher 2
Identifier:            com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher2
Version:               2.0.4 (1701)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        launchd [1]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2023-02-24 12:33:41.0187 +0100
OS Version:            macOS 13.2.1 (22D68)
Report Version:        12
Bridge OS Version:     7.2 (20P3045)
Anonymous UUID:        79221ADC-F471-27A6-5B40-16D1460A84A1

Sleep/Wake UUID:       5CF74E03-097E-434D-A33A-90B2F4230506

Time Awake Since Boot: 17000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       2879 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        5  Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-qos

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000cd000000ac
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x000000cd000000ac

Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11
Terminating Process:   exc handler [7324]

• Staff

Hey @Rak Arthus welcome to the forums,

Is there any chance that you could provide me with one of your files so I can look into what may be causing these crashes, I'll see if I can also replicate it.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/z7wvvbmGdBNHWeJwodF8

If your file contains linked resources, it would be better if you could package your document first via  File > Save as package > Save to Empty folder > Right click folder and Compress > Upload packaged zip file.

Also, could you provide me with the full .IPS crash report file? the below thread details how to find these.

Many thanks

Hi NathanC.

I have uploaded the last IPS file I the dropbox folder.

I can't send the work file until my client has validated the file and it has been printed.

by making a backup after each modification I managed to finalise the graphic composition. But Afpub keeps crashing.
the reason is still different in the use of Afpub but still seems to be related to a lack of cache in the MBpro 

• Staff

Thanks for sending over the report,

The last error on the crashed thread in the crash report points towards an issue with saving the document history, have you got 'Save History with Document' enabled in your document? This can significantly contribute towards the overall file size of your document as well as increasing the time it takes to save, so I think it's tripping over on this when you're saving the document, particularly if your file is already very memory/hardware intensive.

Without your document it's difficult to say why, but if you're able to work on your file with save history with document disabled this could prevent the crashes with this specific document.

Yes I always save the history of document .

Surprisingly, after copy and paste two time the elements of my document in another one I have three different size:

first : 382mo
second 247mo
and last one : (currently in use) 131mo

I don't understand:  what weighs most heavily in my document are the photos , but by default Afpub use "related document"?
Does the 'Save History with Document' save original images In the afpub file ?

This could explain the decrease in the size of the file after copying into another one since the history is not copied !

I will send you the three files for expertise as soon as my client has validated my work