You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thumbnail Manager

I currently use two external thumbnail managers (one is better with dng format and the other is better with webp format) but it would be very helpful if Affinity could build a thumbnail manager to work with Photo 2.

One of my current thumbnail managers uses an intermediate Windows facility to get hold of webp files: this is slow and bumpy so, ideally, any Affinity thumbnail manager would work natively with webp format as well as dng format.

Thanks. Bart.

What does a Thumbnail Manager do?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

A thumbnail manager is, in effect, a digital photograph album. It collects all the available images into one place and presents them tidily and visibly using thumbnails of a size chosen by the user: this is much better than the miserable, slow, clunky options available through the Windows Explorer. The thumbnail viewer will often offer a window in which to preview images and some basic image manipulation routines - eg colour temperature, rotation and simple effects such as 'oil paint'.This facility is very useful to obtain a sense of what needs to be done before passing an image to Photo to be adjusted in detail. It is essential for such a program to work efficiently with both dng and webp formats - so many programs struggle with one or both of these.

I have used FastStone for years to accomplish these tasks but it struggles with webp; it would be good to have this facility within the Affinity suite so as to have a simplified work flow in which the different parts speak natively to each other.

Bart

Thanks. The more usual term is Digital Asset Manager, or DAM, and you'll find many existing requests for that function in the Feedback section already :) 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1