You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Weird Ui Glitch When Maximising the »Recent« Section in the »New Document« Dialogue

Hey all,

I noticed today that seemingly exclusively in Affinity Designer, maximising or changing the size of the dialogue causes problems with the UI on recently used files:

1. First of all, zooming in/maximising is barely possible. It seems to be bugged somehow, because zooming in/out doesn't really work and only in very small steps.
  2. Maximising with the window options in the top left and another app that allows managing any apps and windows under Mac (Rectangle) results in this appearance (notice the search bar, misaligned title as well as scrollbar and bottom bar/buttons and files😞
    image.thumb.png.843a0cf6d67cb7475de8e59537da2a9f.png

In Photo and Publisher the appearance works without any problems:

New_Document_Startup_Photo.png.9b09056039c611018e3c80954075cac5.pngNew_Document_Startup_Publisher.png.f262e9a852129095081c577b1f3163f7.png

Can anyone confirm this, or am I the only one with this issue?

Cheers and thanks!

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

Could you please try turning off Rectangle and then seeing if it still happens?

If it's not that, try clearing your recent items and seeing if the problem is still there as the new list of recent items builds up. (If you really want to save your recent items go to /users/username/Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer 2/ and move mru.dat to your desktop temporarily. Start Designer, do the test, quit Designer, and then copy this file back, overwriting a new file if one was created.)

Good luck

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

turning off Rectangle

Hey @MikeTO, can you elaborate on this? Do you mean the Rectangle Tool? I don't have any document open when I try this, so there actually isn't an active tool in this sense. I just reopened Designer when trying this. So I think the potential selected tool and the error are not adjacent. But interesting take! Or are you talking about something else?

Unfortunately, deleting the history of the most recently used documents did not help either. I have only just started with V2, so the documents in my screenshot are all the documents I have opened/used so far – actually not that many I should think. But it was worth a try.

I meant disabling the Rectangle app which I thought you said you were using. That was a bit of a long shot.

I recall seeing the Recent pane messed up once myself but it resolved itself and I haven't seen it since. I think I just deleted my recent files to resolve it.

Last idea: Quit the app and delete /users/username/Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer 2/newdocumentpanelstate.dat. Doing this won't hurt anything, it just remembers your current defaults for the New window. Delete mru.dat again while you're there. If deleting these two files doesn't fix it then I'm out of ideas.

Good luck

12 hours ago, MikeTO said:

the Rectangle app

Haha, sorry, I was a bit slow in the head yesterday. 🥴
But yeah, that's it! Or well, the combination of both actions? See below! At least it’s working now. 😁

I just quit Designer, quit Rectangle (in addition to clearing the history) and restarted Designer. Ét voila - it works! I don't know why this only affects Designer.

Even stranger: I quit Designer again, started Rectangle again, started Designer again and now it also works.

Edit: Since I saved the mru.dat file previously I tested in my lunchbreak: It’s the recent history that made it buggy, so its infact unrelated to the Rectangle window manager!