You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Select All Problem

HI, I have another question about Select All in AD. There is some bug in this function or I don't understand how it works.
When I chose Select All with Edit All Layers on, selected will be:
- Top level Groups but without: sub-level objects (layer, groups, shapes, curves etc.)
- Top level Layers sub-level objects (groups, shapes, curves), but without:
       - top level layers it self;
       - sub-level layers (layers in layers) - sub-level layer is not selected, but objects inside are;
       - objects in sub-level groups (ex. grouped curves inside layer) - group is selected, but objects inside are not;

When I select and unselect layer and I chose Select All with Edit All Layers off, selected will be:
previously selected layer sub-level objects (groups, shapes, curves), but without:
       - layer it self;
       - sub-level layers (layers in layers) - sub-level layer is not selected, but curves inside are selected;
       - objects in sub-level groups (ex. grouped curves inside layer) - group is selected, but objects inside are not.

When I select and unselect Group and I chose Select All with Edit All Layers off, it behave the like Select All with Edit All Layers on.

When Group contains curves and shapes, and I select one curve, then chose Select All with Edit All Layers off, all nodes of curve are selected. But if I select shape, then chose Select All with Edit All Layers off, all object in group (curves, shapes) are selected.

Could someone explain me, is this behavior is correct? Select All should select all components.

25 minutes ago, Grimmjow80 said:

- Top level Groups but without: sub-level objects (layer, groups, shapes, curves etc.)
       - sub-level layers (layers in layers) - sub-level layer is not selected, but objects inside are;
       - objects in sub-level groups (ex. grouped curves inside layer) - group is selected, but objects inside are not;

That's how it's supposed to work. All selections as expected.

27 minutes ago, Grimmjow80 said:

When I select and unselect layer and I chose Select All with Edit All Layers off, selected will be:
previously selected layer sub-level objects (groups, shapes, curves), but without:
       - layer it self;
       - sub-level layers (layers in layers) - sub-level layer is not selected, but curves inside are selected;
       - objects in sub-level groups (ex. grouped curves inside layer) - group is selected, but objects inside are not.

Sounds alright, too.

38 minutes ago, Grimmjow80 said:

When I select and unselect Group and I chose Select All with Edit All Layers off, it behave the like Select All with Edit All Layers on.

In v2 there is the new context toolbar button "Allow selection to consider items inside a group".
Is it on or off?
(Also note that there is a Light UI bug in v2.0.3 where the button status isn't visible at all)

1 hour ago, Grimmjow80 said:

When Group contains curves and shapes, and I select one curve, then chose Select All with Edit All Layers off, all nodes of curve are selected. But if I select shape, then chose Select All with Edit All Layers off, all object in group (curves, shapes) are selected.

Obviously you have the Node tool active, not the Move tool.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, loukash said:
2 hours ago, Grimmjow80 said:

That's how it's supposed to work. All selections as expected.

Not all object selected.
 "Allow selection to consider items inside a group" on, "Edit All Layers" on. Group is selected, but object inside not. Objects inside layers are selected, but layers it self are not. Try to Select all and hide objects (set ALL hiden).
image.thumb.png.737044e43fdaa4f688e12404efd1eb44.png

My point is, that Select All don't select all objects. It doesn't select objects on all sub-levels. Or even on top level.
Maybe it's my wrong understanding phrase "SELECT ALL" 😄

29 minutes ago, Grimmjow80 said:

"Allow selection to consider items inside a group" on, "Edit All Layers" on. Group is selected, but object inside not.

The button is for canvas selection by clicking.

Objects inside layers are selected, but layers it self are not.

Layers are objects with no dimensions. They alone cannot be selected on canvas either.
In the Layers panel, they are meant to be a proxy to select all its children on canvas by clicking just the "Layer" layer.

My point is, that Select All don't select all objects. It's don't select objects on all sub-levels. Or even on top level.
Maybe it's my wrong understanding phrase "SELECT ALL" 😄

Yeah, it's the latter… ;) 

You seem to be expecting that Layer and Group should somehow behave the same. In this very context of selecting, they do not, and that's in fact one of the intended differences between the two types of objects.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

My base problem was to use "Select the same" function with "Select hidden.." option off. But even if parent layer is hidden, objects are set as visible, so "Select the same" choose them too.

So I've tried to select all, set them as hidden and then use "Select the same". But as I mention, some curves are in groups, some as parts of the layers.

So like You said, with differenses between groups and layers and they behaviour in selecting, there is no way to select ALL objects and hide them.

Using option "Hidde others" should hide all components on all levels, or using "Select the same" without hidden should consider visibility state of top level layer or group .