You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - duplicating objects

Dear Collective Wisdom,

Affinity Photo has served me well for several years. Today I decided to try what I thought would be a simple project in Affinity Designer, but I've run into a very basic problem.

I want to create a 6" x 4" document that contains 14 rounded rectangles, arranged in 2 rows of 7 each. So...

I created the document in the specified size - check.
Discovered how to set margins, did that - check.
Created a rounded rectangle in the specified size - check.
Tried to duplicate the rounded rectangle... hm.

The document appears to recognize the additional rounded rectangles. To my surprise each one is on a different layer. I can get used to that. But the crucial problem is that I can't see them all at the same time.

I watched the following tutorial, which seems clear enough. I can go through the steps, but I still can't see the additional copies of my object. What am I missing here?

Regards,

Marcia Morrison
in Salem, Massachusetts

30 minutes ago, zenmom said:

The document appears to recognize the additional rounded rectangles. To my surprise each one is on a different layer. I can get used to that. But the crucial problem is that I can't see them all at the same time.

- Are all rounded rect layers enabled in the layers panel, or are some hidden (disabled)?
- Further are all rounded rect layers placed on a visable canvas region, or outside placed outside of the canvas?
- Do all have a visable stroke line or fill applied?

Check in the layers panel the status of all layers, for enabled/disabled and their coordinate position on the document canvas. Check stroke/fill settings. - If you used artboards check all those too for the above.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks! I checked each aspect. The layers were all enabled. They were all within the visible canvas area. BUT! The stroke line was set to 0. Ah HA! Set it to something greater than zero, and the rounded rectangles appeared!

On to the next challenge. Will post again when I come to the inevitable next puzzlement.

M.