You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clean updater respectively installation of Affinity software from V1 to V2

Hello,
I've already searched the forum but didn't really find any helpful information.
My system is WIN 10, 22H2 latest build.

Currently I still have version V1 of Photo, Publisher and Designer installed.
I would like to implement a "clean" switch to version 2, but not lose my assets, add-ons etc, respectively reinstall them.

Now my question: What is the "optimal" way to ensure a "clean change"? First uninstall everything or first install V2 and then uninstall version 1. 

Many thanks in advance

Mr. Sapling

Rockfloor, danke für deine Antwort.

Das Vertrauen in die Entwickler habe ich. Sie haben seit Jahren nachgewiesen, dass sie wissen, was sie tun. Selbst bei Beta-Versionen gab es keine Probleme.

Hast du mittlerweile die V1 deinstalliert und wenn ja, Assets, Add-ons etc. laufen einwandfrei?

<==========================>

Rockfloor, thank you for your answer.

I have confidence in the developers. They have proven for years that they know what they are doing. Even with beta versions there were no problems.

Have you uninstalled V1 in the meantime and if so, assets, add-ons etc. are running fine?

@MrSapling, one thing to consider before deciding to do this is that there is no mechanism to export a v2 file to open it in v1.  A number of users have expressed that they will not be updating but will continue to use the v1 products for the foreseeable future.  In the event that you need to collaborate with such users, you may need to keep v1 around to do so.

If that is not a concern for you, I would recommend that you use the export feature in the v1 products to export those things you want to keep (asset categories, etc.), so that you can then import them into v2.

Additionally, I would suggest installing v2 alongside v1, to make sure things go smoothly, before later removing v1 (if you decide to do so).

5 minutes ago, fde101 said:

@MrSapling, one thing to consider before deciding to do this is that there is no mechanism to export a v2 file to open it in v1.  A number of users have expressed that they will not be updating but will continue to use the v1 products for the foreseeable future.  In the event that you need to collaborate with such users, you may need to keep v1 around to do so.

If that is not a concern for you, I would recommend that you use the export feature in the v1 products to export those things you want to keep (asset categories, etc.), so that you can then import them into v2.

Additionally, I would suggest installing v2 alongside v1, to make sure things go smoothly, before later removing v1 (if you decide to do so).

@fde101, thanks for the answer. I will follow your suggestions. I trust the developers of Affinity / Serif, but your recommendation to uninstall later is preferable.