You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Zine production via PDF in Affinity Publisher - sRGB to CMYK conversion

I am dabbling in Affinity Publisher for the first time, having decided to create a zine using Publisher and possibly getting Mixam to print. Mixam require PDFs to use the CMYK colour space. (Please pardon my terminology if wrong)
The zine will contain many photos and some text. All the photos are currently sRGB.
Am I right in thinking that when sRGB images are imported into a PDF that is set up with CMYK colour space / mode, the images will be automatically converted to CMYK? 
I understand that the conversion will impact the colour rendition to some extent.
I also understand that it is sensible to commission a proof from the printer to check on color rendition.
I presume that there is some image editing capability within Publisher - in the Photo Persona?

Edited by Bob May

When you make your Publisher document you should set it up as CMYK. You have the option of converting the RGB files when you place them (this is in the preferences and will be for all documents) 

605684269_ScreenShot2022-11-25at1_26.22PM1.png.ef084e3b90680e26df8ffff211e7c4c1.png

Or you can leave that unchecked and convert them when you export to PDF.

1613122430_ScreenShot2022-11-25at1_28_02PM.png.c2012594260387ead732819bbb5f284a.png

I guess you could do both.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

15 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

When you make your Publisher document you should set it up as CMYK. You have the option of converting the RGB files when you place them (this is in the preferences and will be for all documents) 

605684269_ScreenShot2022-11-25at1_26.22PM1.png.ef084e3b90680e26df8ffff211e7c4c1.png

Or you can leave that unchecked and convert them when you export to PDF.

1613122430_ScreenShot2022-11-25at1_28_02PM.png.c2012594260387ead732819bbb5f284a.png

I guess you could do both.

Old Bruce. Thank you for your response. I am at the bottom of a steep learning curve! I intend to create two zines - one with monochrome images and one with colour images based on negs and slides scanned on an Epson V550 Photo Scanner. I possibly or probably need to set the two zines up differently.

2 minutes ago, Bob May said:

I intend to create two zines - one with monochrome images and one with colour images based on negs and slides scanned on an Epson V550 Photo Scanner. I possibly or probably need to set the two zines up differently.

Do the colour one first. Then save a copy of it and change the Colour in the Document Setup File > Document Setup... just choose the Greyscale in the colour tab and voila. Won't win awards for best B&W photography but it will be quick.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.