You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there an easy way to overlay the 2 ends of the panorama and trim/stitch so the I get the whole 360 and not 380 (overlap)

I will try this, but is it smart enough to stitch vertically as well as horizontally  if I have a panorama made of multiple horizontal passes  ?

panoramas are stitched by matching details in overlapping areas. it shouldn't matter if the images overlap horizontally or vertically.

if you have a panorama that overlaps beyond 360°, it is advisable that you decide what the leftmost and rightmost images should be and crop them (or one of them) so that they don't overlap each other.

take care,

stefano

I figured out a method to do a more exact 360 trim

basically you use panorama to stitch together more than 360 degrees -lets say 380 or 390

this leaves overlap on the left and right sides

then you cut the panorama in the middle or anywhere inside of the overlapped left and right ends

save the 2 portions as separate jpgs, then do a second panorama stitching with these 2, with the overlapped ends now in the middle

i,e if your 390 degrees looks like this:

AAABBBCCCDDDAAA

cut to AAABBB and CCCDDDAAA

reverse the order to

CCCDDDAAA AAABBB

stitch together as:

CCCDDDAAABBB

voila!

maybe this is obvious or there's an easier way, but this is my first try making panoramas...

well it is an interesting strategy but i'd say (i may be wrong) that cropping in advance should offer some advantages over the "recursive" approach you described:

1) images are processed only once, with benefits in quality and computing time

2) by choosing the leftmost and rightmost images, you implicitly choose the panorama center, while with the recursive approach it looks like the image center is chosen by the stitching algorithm

take care,

stefano

Actually - this can be done in 1 pass also - I just realized

just cut the left or right most image at a non-overlapping spot  (before importing to panorama feature) , and move it to the other end before stitching

the reason I want 360 degrees of coverage exactly is that I'm playing with tiny planet photos