You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo V2 PSD MOCKUP issue with Embedded documents & perspectives

GabrielD

Hey there,

I was super excited about V2 because of the live mesh warp. I was hoping that I would finally be able to open PSD mockups that have curved surfaces as normal perspectives were supported so I was able to use PSD mockups for flat surfaces like screens but not for bottles, cans etc. 

Imagine my surprise when I realised that V2 not only doesn't support the new live mesh warp but also it dropped support for live perspective when importing PSD files? See the screenshots showing V2 and V1 layers panel. 

Not only that but it seems like it does not support embedded documents either. In V1 the "Place your design here" is in fact double-clickable and will open a new tab but in V2 it is not.

Now, after buying V2 I pretty much can't use it to work on Mockups so I had to reinstall V1.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? I tested a few different mockups and found the same results.

I am on MacOS btw.

Thanks,

Gabriel

Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 09.41.21.png

Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 09.41.25.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply.

I uploaded the .PSD & .afphoto files.

I tried various other .PSD mockups and face the same issue - I cannot open the embedded documents and I cannot see live mesh warp or perspective.

Embeded documents & perspectives import just fine in V1 but not V2.

Hopefully this is an easy fix ☺️
Thanks,

Gabriel

• Staff

Hi @GabrielD

Thanks for uploading your files,

After enabling 'Import PSD smart objects where possible' under Preferences > General, both V1 and V2 have successfully imported the perspective live filter from your file on both Mac and Windows.

Your V2 screenshot indicates this is not enabled as it shows the 'Place your Design here' as a pixel layer rather than an embedded layer.

image.png

After enabling this in V2 and restarting, try importing your .PSD file again.

• Staff
34 minutes ago, GabrielD said:

still have the warp issue - it seems only live perspective gets imported but not live mesh. Do you have an idea when this functionality will be supported?

This is an improvement which is currently logged with the development team and may be implemented in a later version 🙂

41 minutes ago, NathanC said:

This is an improvement which is currently logged with the development team and may be implemented in a later version 🙂

OK, thanks for your reply. Hopefully it is up high enough on the list. Sorry for assuming this was a bug but it was just shocking that live warp was introduced and yet wasn't compatible with PSD files. 

I will be eagerly awaiting then next updates so. Thanks

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2022 at 11:42 PM, NathanC said:

Would it be rude for us to ask for some more clues about where this feature might be on the roadmap? When you say it 'may be implemented in a later version', is that an indication that it's likely to be implemented, or just a wild guess at this stage? And when you say 'in a later version', would that be a version 3 kind of thing that we might expect around 2030, or something that could be in a minor update?

In the meantime folks, check out this incredible online software by an indie developer:

https://www.photopea.com

I was able to upload a PS file with a warp mesh applied, double-click the layers to swap out the old originals for new ones, and save it out to a new PS file—flawlessly. And the software is free (or $15 to remove ads for 3 months and support the developer).

• Staff
12 hours ago, Kal said:

Would it be rude for us to ask for some more clues about where this feature might be on the roadmap? When you say it 'may be implemented in a later version', is that an indication that it's likely to be implemented, or just a wild guess at this stage? And when you say 'in a later version', would that be a version 3 kind of thing that we might expect around 2030, or something that could be in a minor update?

We don't typically provide timescales as I can't confirm how long the development cycle/testing will take, apologies. However it is currently logged as an improvement, meaning it's likely to find it's way into a later release.

• 9 months later...

Thanks so much @NathanC, thank you a million, your answer was very helpful to me. I'm trying to never use Photoshop again and do everything with Affinity Photo and this detail of editing the mockups I didn't understand why I couldn't do it, but I activated the option that you explained very well and it works!!! Thanks my friend!