You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo v2 lagging/crashing and potentially causing GPU problems

pretzel

I bought Photo v2 yesterday and I'm mostly liking it. Just today though, I was experiencing some HEAVY lag. I wish I could remember exactly what I was doing to cause it. I KNOW I experienced once crash when I clicked "rasterize layer" on a layer that was just a simple, black rectangle.

And ~20 minutes ago, it got really bad. I closed the program, thinking it was the project I was in, but when I restarted the program, it was still lagging. Even when no project was loaded. (and yes, I disabled Hardware Acceleration to see if that fixed it. it didn't)

I closed the program after that and went on Twitter to mindlessly scroll for a bit. Which is when this started happening.

image.png.2441a97d60c15c0331805bcb45df15df.png

Obviously something's going on here that shouldn't, but I don't know what. I restarted my computer, and I still saw some slight artifcating. So I unplugged my computer, reseated the graphics card, and now I don't see those artifacts while browsing the web. I'm too scared to launch Affinity Photo again in case it messes something up permanently 💀

My computer is used to stressful loads. I work in semi-complicated projects in DaVinci Resolve (video editor) as well as play a lot of modern, graphically intense games with my 3060 gpu and have encountered nothing like this. So it's not like what I was trying to do was out of the ordinary for my system. And I haven't done complicated projects in Photo v2 either. I'm pretty sure I was working on a project with two layers, containing two drawn rectangles, fiddling around with mask stuff. Before that, I was working on creating (relatively) simple YouTube thumbnails.

Not sure what's going on here. Maybe there's just a weird interaction with my hardware causing this problem, but I figured I'd just throw it out there anyway.

51 minutes ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi Pretzel,

does this happen when you run v1 as well if you have it?

Would it be possible for you to capture a video of it happening?

Lee

Hi LeeThorpe and Pretzel,

Same problem here, with all the V2 Suite
Really bad performance I am having. 
Just cannot work with it until the issues and problems are fixed

There is so much lag and stutter
Even with low pixel dimensions and few layers

I think this problem, in my case is due to an AMD graphics incompatibility issue

My Rig specifications are:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600g

AMD Radeon RX 6600 8gb

32 RAM DDR4 3200mhz

500 GB SSD SATA

I have posted in other threads as well

Edited by Daniel Muñoz

5 minutes ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi Daniel, 

Please try disabling Hardware Acceleration in Preferences > Performance  as the opencl compatibility for that video card is extremely poor.

Lee

Have already done it but the issue REMAINS the same. 
You need to work with AMD to bring a solution for us the users, please
I am going back to Adobe for now. 
Hope there will be a solution available in the near future

Thanks!

Edited by Daniel Muñoz

1 hour ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi Pretzel,

does this happen when you run v1 as well if you have it?

Would it be possible for you to capture a video of it happening?

Lee

I do not have V1, and (un?)fortunately, I haven't experienced that weird lag/gpu artifacting again. Granted, it's only been a day or so, so maybe it'll come back. I'll update the thread if something happens again.

Same problems very poor performance and its not Open GL. Serif are aware and hopefully trying very hard to fix it.

I agree the software launch has been too premature and does not live up to its hype if you can't actually use it in reality....I am back to V1 for now and I am expecting an urgent update from Serif because they have to do something because too many are reporting how poor the performance is compared to V1 on several issues and to be honest this should not be the case with any second version, you expect issues and problems with any new release but this is so fundamental it is very disappointing to say the least.

• 2 months later...

It looks to me like your GPU is overheating to be honest, or one of your memory chips is starting to fail. Try opening Task Manager -> Performance -> GPU. Check the temperature while you are running something heavy. I have seen some YouTube videos with similar artefacts on GPU's and the fixing was replacing GPU ram which only a professional can do.