You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are astrophotography functions still supported in V2?

Hello,

I reviewed the technical information for V2, reviewed the FAQ and watch the youtube video.  I don't see anything mentioned about the astrophotography functions.  Are they still supported in V2? 

I've switched my astrophotography image processing from other programs to Affinity.  I have the JR Astrophotography Marcos and plug-ins by R-C Astro.  If the astrophotography functions are still fully supported in V2 I will upgrade, especially at the discounted introductory offer.  If astrophotography support has been dropped, then I'll just just stick with V1.

Thanks, John Schnupp

p.s. my latest image

_final 20220-10-22+29_M33.jpg

If you mean Astrophotography stacking and the Remove Background feature, both are present in version 2 of Affinity Photo. I generally don't think that Serif dropped any core functionality with the new suite, but if you have any specific feature in mind, I can check for you whether it's still available.

I installed the trial version last night if it's any help, sits alongside V1 so you can run both. It offered to import my settings from V1 and pulled in JR's macros automatically.

In summary: astro workflow still there, unchanged apart from UI tweaks (not all for ther better IMHO, some layer icons no longer so clear). Nothing lost, but no improvement for astro that I could see either. Price is tempting but not sure I see any reason to upgrade, except for access to any possible future updates.

Hope this is some help

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 1:20 PM, John Schnupp said:

Hello,

I reviewed the technical information for V2, reviewed the FAQ and watch the youtube video.  I don't see anything mentioned about the astrophotography functions.  Are they still supported in V2? 

I've switched my astrophotography image processing from other programs to Affinity.  I have the JR Astrophotography Marcos and plug-ins by R-C Astro.  If the astrophotography functions are still fully supported in V2 I will upgrade, especially at the discounted introductory offer.  If astrophotography support has been dropped, then I'll just just stick with V1.

Thanks, John Schnupp

p.s. my latest image

_final 20220-10-22+29_M33.jpg

I switched to V2 when it became available. Kinda weird at first, but now I love the new look & functionality. 
As far as astrophotography, nothing has changed except the Sigma Clipping is now defaulted to 2 ( previously 3 )in the Stacking Persona. All the bells & whistles in that Persona are the same. The stacking processing time just might be a tad bit faster though.

As mentioned by another member, the new layer stack takes some getting used to. I think it is a nice change condensing the pixel layers adjustments into the same icon/layer as the parent. Nothing is stacked above a pixel layer unless a high pass or clarity live filter is being applied, etc.

By the way - that is an excellent image. I also have the JR Astrophotography Marcos and plug-ins by R-C Astro. Along with Topaz DeNoise & Sharpening.

Does anyone know how to separate out Duo Band One Shot Color data into separate channels - Ha & OIII ? I am following a thread with that topic without an answer from Serif. I always ask when I get a chance.

Mike,

Just downloaded the entire suite, Photo, Designer and Publisher.  For the price it can't beat and since the V2 is a totally different install, I won't  lose anything in V1.

I tried Affinity stacking only once, back when it first came out.  At the time I didn't like that it didn't work using master dark files, and it didn't have nearly the control over the algorithms so I just stuck with DSS.  Maybe it's worth a revisit to the stacking persona in AP2.

I had heard that some of the Tpoaz plug-ins did not play so well with Affinity.  Good to hear DeNoise and Sharpening work.  Those would be the two I would consider.  I only have Gradient Xterminator but just today (11/26/22) Russell verified with me that the installers for all of his plug-ins have been updated for AP2.

I've been doing some googling and youtubing on channel separation.  It seems fairly straightforward, especially if you have a stacked image that has already been debayered.  https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=seperate+color+channels+in+Affinity#kpvalbx=_vC6CY5ucAayk5NoPoZqP8A4_31  There are a couple different approaches and I'm not sure which would work best.  My M33 shot that I shared really isn't a great example of a bi-color image.  I have some Elephant Trunk data from earlier this summer that I shot with OptoLong eNhance filter, would be a good candidate for me to try some of the different techniques.  JR's macros also have various composition setups as well.  

1 hour ago, John Schnupp said:

Mike,

Just downloaded the entire suite, Photo, Designer and Publisher.  For the price it can't beat and since the V2 is a totally different install, I won't  lose anything in V1.

I tried Affinity stacking only once, back when it first came out.  At the time I didn't like that it didn't work using master dark files, and it didn't have nearly the control over the algorithms so I just stuck with DSS.  Maybe it's worth a revisit to the stacking persona in AP2.

I had heard that some of the Tpoaz plug-ins did not play so well with Affinity.  Good to hear DeNoise and Sharpening work.  Those would be the two I would consider.  I only have Gradient Xterminator but just today (11/26/22) Russell verified with me that the installers for all of his plug-ins have been updated for AP2.

I've been doing some googling and youtubing on channel separation.  It seems fairly straightforward, especially if you have a stacked image that has already been debayered.  https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=seperate+color+channels+in+Affinity#kpvalbx=_vC6CY5ucAayk5NoPoZqP8A4_31  There are a couple different approaches and I'm not sure which would work best.  My M33 shot that I shared really isn't a great example of a bi-color image.  I have some Elephant Trunk data from earlier this summer that I shot with OptoLong eNhance filter, would be a good candidate for me to try some of the different techniques.  JR's macros also have various composition setups as well.  

John - thank you for your prompt reply

Yes - V2 is a completely different install. I kept both versions intact as well.

I really like the Stacking Persona - especially if you are doing mono imaging. You can create Groups for different filters, Ha, OIII, SII, etc.
During the stacking process, all frames are aligned and calibrated within the Stacking Persona.
Accept the stacked image after it processed all Groups or individual files if using One Shot Color , this will place you in the Photo Persona for editing.
You will have a separate pixel layers for each filter ( if you created Groups in the Stacking Persona )
Add a recolor adjustment to each layer for different composite false color schemes( SHO, HSO, HOO, etc. )

Every so often StarXterminator timer stops responding during processing, but it is still working. Just be patient - the starless image will eventually process even though the count down timer indicates "not responding".

I understand how to separate out R - G & B channels.
My question is, how can I separate out the Hydrogen Alpha and Oxygen 3 data that is combined during capture with a One Shot Color dedicated Astro Cam.
I have about 50 targets I captured using a ASI 294MC Pro One Shot Color camera last year. I would like to figure out how to separate the Ha & O3 data in those .fit files. Then import that separated data into Affinity Photo as mono files for recoloring.
The Ha & O3 wave lengths are uniquely different when separated.
That process is not the same as separating out R - G & B channels which are the same data, just separated by color.

thank you again for your reply 

1 hour ago, John Schnupp said:

Mike,

John,  here is a thread on this Support Forum that addresses my question of separating OSC data into separate Ha & OIII files. Serif has yet to reply - hopefully they will

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/168073-extract-ha-and-oiii-from-duo-band-filter-_-astrophotography/#comment-987472

If you come up with anything please let me know - thank you again