You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wood grain effect in Designer

I’ve made a digital mock-up of a picture frame. To create the wood grain effect I used a filled rectangle underneath a ‘pencil’ brush clipped (or cropped: I still haven’t memorised the difference in AD) with a duplicate of the rectangle.

It works satisfactorily. However, copy–pasting the frame into a second document resulted in the stroke properties being altered. It’s not disastrous but I’m curious as to why this happened.

The first shot is the original, the second is the pasted copy.

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 11.25.04.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 11.25.18.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 11.28.17.png

My first guess, without having the original to work with, is that the second document might have a different DPI to the first document.
This could cause the Pencil Brushed layer to be enlarged.
Can you check this?
If that's not the problem, would you be able to share the original document (or a cut-down version of it) containing the picture frame layer(s)?

Well Done Garry. The first document was 72dpi, the last res. setting I used and I just accepted it without thinking about it. The later document I obviously had something in mind—probably that I was going to print the docs so higher res. would be better—and I changed the res. setting. Didn't think about the difference. I'm accustomed to the notion of vector being resolution independent—I don't recall this being necessary in the olden days (with AI).