You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Better Brush and pressure support

Everyone I know has cited this program as a great photoshop replacement and even have boasted it as superior. And I REALLY want to like this program but based on the user experience I have had so far with its brushed in the trial, I would not buy nor recommend this program. The pressure is absolutely awful, and I can't blend anything. Also, importing the brushes I have from photoshop just simply don' twork. NO settings translate over. And even when I kind of get the settings similar, the programs brush engine itself just doesn't allow me to properly use them. I can set the flow all the way to 2 and the brushes are still too hard. Its just not a good user experience. I have used several art programs such as photoshop, clip studio paint, Krtia, paint tool sai, medibang paint, sketchbook pro, ect. And out of all these programs I have used, Affinity photo by far has the worst brushes I have ever used. I have attached a photo of me having tried to blend, and it took me a minute in PS to get a semi okay blend, and in affinty spending 10 minutes, I could not get brushes to blend at all. 

Affinty photo brushes.png

Hello! I am a digital artist and I feel the same about brush engine in Affinity Photo, it's not superb.

But the reason of that is because Affinity Photo was not developed for painting purpose just as well as Photoshop, although Adobe have been getting  feedback from users (artists/illustrators etc.) for many years and they decided to work on those features that give artists a better painting experience.

In my opinion Affinity is on its way towards developing those features but there must be a lot of users using the software for painting. For now AF is mostly about manipulations with photos and images. That's why I dropped trying to paint in Affinity and now my main painting software is Clip Studio Paint.

The brush engine is the most important part of digital painting software, and this is a weak spot of Affinity Photo for now, that's why I use it for editing my art after it's done in CSP. Actually I love both, CSP and Affinity. Just that each of them has its own cool features.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 12:25 AM, Shustenia said:

Hello! I am a digital artist and I feel the same about brush engine in Affinity Photo, it's not superb.

But the reason of that is because Affinity Photo was not developed for painting purpose just as well as Photoshop, although Adobe have been getting  feedback from users (artists/illustrators etc.) for many years and they decided to work on those features that give artists a better painting experience.

In my opinion Affinity is on its way towards developing those features but there must be a lot of users using the software for painting. For now AF is mostly about manipulations with photos and images. That's why I dropped trying to paint in Affinity and now my main painting software is Clip Studio Paint.

The brush engine is the most important part of digital painting software, and this is a weak spot of Affinity Photo for now, that's why I use it for editing my art after it's done in CSP. Actually I love both, CSP and Affinity. Just that each of them has its own cool features.

Have you tested the brush engine in 2.0? I heard it was updated