You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Print artifact around vector brush stroke

TwoKoalas

Hi, I consistently encounter this print error when I try to print something that had a vector brush stroke. It creates a half black rectangle stroke around the actual brush stroke.
It happened with other strokes/documents as well. They only way to print this correctly is to export it to PNG and then print that.

Printer: Canon TS 6350
Print settings default (no bleed/printer marks), apart from printer manages color

I've attached a .afdesign file with the section that displays this error

image.png.e98dcb1b47040efe58d15edb406994da.png

image.thumb.png.9c1cbe75be081c420c8e6b51f122552d.png

Print error.afdesign

• Staff

Hi @TwoKoalas,

Many thanks for this file provided! I have requested for a colleague of mine to test print this in the office - as I'm currently working remotely and don't have access to a printer, however in the meantime I have tried using the Print function with Microsofts 'Print to PDF' driver, which worked as expected and no stroke is visible in this file.

Can you please open the Print dialog, then navigate to the Rasterization section. Here, please tick Clip Transparency and try printing the file once again.

If the issue is still present, return to this dialog and tick 'Rasterize Entire Page', which you should also find greys out the aforementioned option, then print the document once again.

Does this resolve the issue for you please? :)

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the tips! I noticed that my prepared example doesn't show the issue. Could you please send me a link where I can upload another one that's tested?

I did some tests over here and Clip Transparency doesn't do anything, but Rasterize Entire Page gets rid of the black stroke.

• Staff

No problem at all, thanks for confirming that for me as I've also now test printed this document physically and I can confirm that I don't see the issue either.

You can upload your document to the below link for me, please reply here once this has been done:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/XlvRncFva4e8mLbxmAL6

17 hours ago, TwoKoalas said:

I did some tests over here and Clip Transparency doesn't do anything, but Rasterize Entire Page gets rid of the black stroke.

Thanks for confirming this for me also :) 

• Staff

Thank you for providing that!

I'm able to replicate a similar issue on one of our printers here in the office, but not on another.
Interestingly on our Samsung C9251 printer, I see a black outline above the stoke, contrary to the outline appearing below the stroke in your document, but this does not occur at all on the Samsung M2825ND, or Canon ix6850 printer we also have access to.

Therefore I believe this to be printer driver specific, possibly caused by how Affinity interacts with the driver itself, though this I'm unsure of.

I'm logging this as a bug with our team now for further investigation, to try and discover the root cause such that it can be fixed in the future.

In the meantime, you can either right-click the green Curve object in Affinity and select Rasterise before printing, you can use the Rasterise Entire Page option when printing, or you can export to PDF (for Print) and then print this file externally - as in all of my tests this removed the error.

I hope this helps :)