You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Milky Way editing help please

Good afternoon everyone,

I have recently joined the forum in the last 2 months and this is my first post. I'm not new to photography but have taken a liking to Milky Way images and struggling with the editing side of things.

I am seeking any help or guidance on a technique or a 'how to' guide when editing in Affinity Photo.

I've uploaded an image that I recently took, it is a panoramic consisting of 2 lines of 9 images with each frame a stack of 2 images. I took the original images in RAW/NEF and the above is a converted JPG.

For some reason I'm just not that happy with the edit I have done and hoping someone more experienced can offer some words of wisdom.

Thanks.

Tom

Kit used on the night;

NIKON D750

Tokina 16-28 f2.8

Taken at 16mm and f2.8

ISO 6400

13 second frames

Shutter release cable to avoid any shake

Manfrotto tripod with Neewer ball head

2041524670_PanoMilkyWayJPEG.thumb.jpg.7b28b71f546d459c948b8890e99580a9.jpg

I also think the image is beautiful.

10 hours ago, tomtoner_photography said:

For some reason I'm just not that happy with the edit I have done and hoping someone more experienced can offer some words of wisdom.

I am not an astrophotographer, but I would brighten the horizon a bit so that there is a better separation between the sky and the horizon.
Like a silhouette.

silhouette1.jpg.05702a11dc09f55fdaab76178522f8f4.jpg

MilkyWayx.afphoto

17 hours ago, Lisbon said:

I also think the image is beautiful.

I am not an astrophotographer, but I would brighten the horizon a bit so that there is a better separation between the sky and the horizon.
Like a silhouette.

silhouette1.jpg.05702a11dc09f55fdaab76178522f8f4.jpg

MilkyWayx.afphoto 3.56 MB · 1 download

Much appreciated but I did think about brightening it up and taking it from there. Cheers