You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File management desperately needs a revamp

I will preface this by saying that i am a power user of affinity designer. Working on an iPad Pro as a designer has drastically changed the way that i work for the better. I am so happy to be able to rely less on adobe products. I know affinity is a small team, but the file management for the apps has remained largely unchanged since i forced myself to use their applications in 2019. WE NEED BATCH. THe giant squares for projects with no list sorting or changing of thumbnail sizes is highly annoying. Having to individually save files to the cloud or HD is absolutely insane. As a designer and photographer creating tons of assets on the go, I’m not always the most organized. SO when I’m approaching storage limits and i have to sit down for an hour or two to save and close files (a 2-3 step process) when it could easily be done in batch is frustrating.

Next up - importing to a file. Every week I am creating massive 20-30 photo collages, and i have to import individual images one-by-one. This is an huge time-suck. You can select multiple images in the files app, but dragging them all into designer results in a single photo being placed, despite iOS recognizing that multiple photos are being moved. Lots of the time I am using Dropbox, and Dropbox likes to freeze and completely stop working through the files app integration. Obviously this isn’t affinity’s fault. But if i could move things more easily and faster, the Dropbox integration problem wouldn’t be as big of an issue for me. Most of the time I get to about the 15th photo imported, and affinity will crash and not save my project and i lose all the photos I imported. When I am home, my workaround is to create my file in designer for Mac, drag and drop my batch of images (this takes 30 seconds and is absolutely how it should work on iPad), save to cloud, wait for it to upload, download to my iPad, open and work. But i am not always home to do this. It’s 2022, your apps are amazing, please make the file management equally as amazing.

I am typing this because I’ve reached the end of my rope. I desperately want to keep using these apps, but i just can’t rely on them to work like i need them to all the time. SO please read this as tough love, not just ramblings of a grumpy jerk who barely uses the app. Thank you for all that you do!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Agree, tho Ive only just started using affinity - and as a more painterly artist Im looooving it. Dealing with files one at a time and seemingly not being able to select multiple and stack files by project is crazy tho. I have two vector projects on the go (one with several sub sections) but everything is stored in one vast page. I want to start a new line of inquiry into a designs look and Im having to, one by one, select each file and save them to an external folder so I can close them, then if/when I need to go back to them Ill have to open them up again...Thats a real issue. Is it too difficult to create a system similar to procreates where you can stack files?